« ZurückWeiter »
49. And, behold, I send the Spirit, promised by my Father, upon you. But tarry ye in the city Jeru. salem, until ye be endued with the power thereof from on high.
50. Lastly, he led them out to Bethany; then lifting up his hands, he blessed them.
51. And while he blessed them, he was parted from them, and carried up into heaven. 52. Then they worshipped him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy. 53. And were continually in the temple, praising and blessing God. Amen.
THE GOSPEL HISTORY WRITTEN BY
THE DIVINITY OF JESUS CHRIST.
THE Word (i. e. Christ), was in the beginning, and the Word was with God, and God was the Word. 2. This Word was in the beginning with God. 3. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made which was made. 4. In him was (the fountain of life and light, natural, spiritual, and eternal), and (he) the life was the light of men. 5. And (he) the light shin. eth in (the) darkness (of types, and figures, rites and ceremonies), but the darkness (of the ignorance, error and wickedness of mankind) did not perceive it, (and so was not dispelled by it).
6. TA man named John was sent from God, 7. Who came for a witness, to testify of the Light, that all through him might believe. 8. He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. 9. That was the true Light which enlightneth every man (with natural and supernatural light) VOL. III,
that cometh into the world. 10. He was in the world (cluring his ministry) and the world was made by him (at first) but the world knew him not. 11. Jie came to his own (nation), but his own received him not. 12. But he gave the privilege to as many as received him, to become the sons of God, even to them who believe on his name: 13. Who were born again, not of blood, or of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
14. And the Word became (united to) flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only Son of the Father (by nature) full of grace and truth, Luke i. 35.
15. John bare witness of him, and cried, say. ing, This was he of whom I spake, He who cometh after me is preferred before me; for he was before me. 16. And of his fulness have we all received, even of grace abundantly. 17. For the (ritual) law was given by Moses, (having a shadow of grace), but grace and truth (the truth of grace) came by Jesus Christ, (for that figurative grace). 18. None has ever seen God: the only begotten Son, (the only Mediator), who is in the Father's bosom, (his dearly and well-beloved darling delight), hath de. clared him.
19. And this was Jolin's testimony, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask lim, Who art thou? 20. Then he denied not, but confessed, I am not the Clirist.
21. So they asked him, What then? Art thon Elias? but he said, I am not. Art thou that prophet? (Deut. xviii. 15-19.) Then he answered, No. 22. Then said they to him, Who art thou? that we may answer them that sent us. What sayest thou of thyself? 23. He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, (hy sincere repentance and righteousness), as said the prophet Isaiali, xl. 3.
2.1. Now they who were sent were some of the Pharisees. 25. They also asked him, Why baptiz. est (dippest) thou then, if thou be not the Christ, nor Elias, neither the prophet?
26. John answered, I baptize with water; but there stands one among you whom ye know not; 27. Even he, who, coming after me, was prior to me, whose shoe's latchet I am not worthy to loose.
28. These things were done at Bethabara beyond · Jordan, where John was baptizing.
29. The next day John seeth Jesus coming to him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, (for a sacrifice), which taketh away the sin of the world! 30. This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man who is preferred before me; for he was before me. 31. And I knew him not; but came baptizing with water, that he might be made manifest to Israel. 32. John also testified, saying, I saw the Spirit descending froin heaven, like a (fiery) dove, and it abode on him. 33. And I knew him not; (having no confederacy with him); but (the Spirit) that sent me to baptize with water, said to me, Upon whom thou shalt see the (symbol of the) Spirit descending, and remaining, that is he who baptizeth with the Holy Spirit. 34. So I saw, and testified that this is the Son of God (by nature, a title of Messiah).
35. The next day again, John stood with two of his disciples; 36. And looking at Jesus walking, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God! 37. Now the two disciples hearing him speak, followed Jesus,
38. Then Jesus turning, saw them following, and saith to them, What seek ye? They said unto him, Rabbi, that is, being interpreted, Master; where dwellest thou? 39. He said to them, Come and see. They came and saw where he dwelt, and abode with him that day; for it was about the tenth hour, (four o'clock).
40. One of the two wlto heard John speak, and followed him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother, 41. He findeth first his own brother Simon, and saith to him, We have found the Messias, that is, being interpreted, The Christ. 42. Then he brought him to Jesus, and Jesus beholding him, said, Thou art Simon the son of Jona; thou shalt be called Gulas, that is, being interpreted, A rock.
43. The day following, Jesus intending to go into Galilee, and meeting Philip, he saith to him, Follow me. 44. Now Philip was of Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. 45. Philip meeteth Nathanael, and saith to him, We have found him of whom Moses in the law and the prophets wrote, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph. 46. But Na. thanael said to him, Can any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith, Come and see.
47. Jesus seeing Nathanael coming to him, saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile! 48. Nathanael saith to him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus replied to him, Before Phillip called thee, when thou wast under the fig-tree, I saw thee. 49. Nathanael replied to him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God, Luke i. 35.; thou art the king of Israel. 50. Jesus replied to him, Because I said to thee, I saw thee under the fig-tree, believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these. 51. Șo he saith to him, Verily, verily, I tell you, Hereafter you shall see heaven open (to receive you), and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of man; (like Jacob's ladder of communication between heaven and earth, Genesis xxviii. 12. angels and men).
CHAP. II. CHRIST TURNETH WATER INTO WINE. Now the third day there was a marriage-feast in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there. 2. And both Jesus and his disciples were called to the marriage-feast.
3. And when the wine failed, the mother of Jesus saith to him, They have no wine. 4. Jesus saith to her, Woman, what is that to me and thee? mine hour (the proper time for å miracle) is not yet come.
5. His mother saith to the servants, Do what. ever he saith to you.
6. Now six water pots of stone being set there, after the manner of the Jews washings, containing each two or three firkins; 7. Jesus saith to them, Fill the water-pots with water. So they fil. led them to the brim. 8. Then he saith to them, Draw out now, and carry to the governor of the feast. And they did so.
9. When the governor of the feast had tasted the water made wine, but knew not whence it was, tho' the servants who drew the water knew, he called the bridegroom, 10. And saith to him, Every man at first sets on good wine, and when men are refreshed, that which is worse; but thou hast kept the good wine till now.
11. This beginning of miracles Jesus did in Cana of Galilee, manifesting his glory; So his disciples believed on him.
12. And after this he went down to Capernaum, with his mother, his brethren, and his dis. ciples; but they continued not many days there.
13. | The Jews' passover was also near, so Jesus went up to Jerusalem, 14. And found in the (court of the) temple, (on the sacred ground) those that sold oxen, sheep, doves, and the moneychangers sitting; 15. And having made a scourge of cords, he drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep, and oxen; and pouring out the exchangers' money, overturned the tables; 16. He said also to them who sold doves, Take these things hence? make not my Father's house a house of merchandise.
17. Now his disciples remembered it was writ. ten, The zeal for thine house consumeth me.