Abbildungen der Seite

where my father married his wife's daughter, (N. B. he was in debt to him) which was on September, 25, 1711, old style. This Nuttle had a son by my grandmother-a fine person of a man, but a graceless whelp -what became of him I know not.-The family (if any left) live now at Clonmel, in the south of Ireland; at which town 1 was born, November 24, 1713, a few days after my mother arrived from Dunkirk.-My birthday was ominous to my poor father, who was, the day of our arrival, with many other brave officers, broke, and sent adrift into the wide world, with a wife and two children-the elder of which was Mary; she was born at Lisle, in French Flanders, July 10, 1712, new style. This child was the most unfortunate-She married one Weemans, in Dublin-who used her most unmercifully-spent his substance, became a bankrupt, and left my poor sister to shift for herself; which she was able to do but for a few months, for she went to a friend's house in the country, and died of a broken heart. She was a most beautiful woman-of a fine figure, and deserved a better fate.-The regiment in which my father served being broke, he left Ireland as soon as I was able to be carried, with the rest of his family, and came to the family seat at Elvington, near York, where his mother lived. She was daughter to Sir Roger Jaques, and an heiress. There we sojourned for about ten months, when the regiment was established, and our household decamped with bag and baggage for Dublin.-Within a month of our arrival, my father left us, being ordered to Exeter; where, in a sad winter, my mother and her two children followed him, travelling from Liverpool, by land, to Plymouth. -Melancholy description of this journey not necessary to be transmitted here.)-In twelve months we were all sent back to Dublin.-My mother, with three of us (for she lay-in at Plymouth of a boy, Joram) took ship at Bristol, for Ireland, and had a narrow escape from being cast away, by a leak springing up in the vessel.-At length, after many perils and struggles, we got to Dublin.-There my father took a large house, furnished it, and in a year and a half's time spent a great deal of money.--In the year 1719, all unhinged

again; the regiment was ordered, with many others, to the Isle of Wight, in order to embark for Spain in the Vigo expedition. We accompanied the regiment, and were driven into Milford Haven, but landed at Bristol; from thence, by land, to Plymouth again, and to the Isle of Wight-where, I remember, we stayed encamped some time before the embarkation of the troops (in this expedition, from Bristol to Hampshire, we lost poor Joram-a pretty boy, four years old, of the small-pox.) My mother, sister, and myself, remained at the Isle of Wight during the Vigo expedition, and until the regiment had got back to Wicklow, in Ireland; from whence my father sent for us. We had poor Joram's loss supplied, during our stay in the Isle of Wight, by the birth of a girl, Anne, born September the 23d, 1719.-This pretty blossom fell at the age of three years, in the barracks of Dublin-She was, as I well remember, of a fine delicate frame, not made to last long as were most of my father's babes.-We embarked for Dublin, and had all been cast away by a most violent storm; but through the intercessions of my mother, the captain was prevailed upon to turn back into Wales, where we stayed a month, and at length got into Dublin, and travelled by land to Wicklow, where my father had for some weeks given us over for lost.-We lived in the barracks at Wicklow one year (1720) when Devijeher (so called after colonel Devijeher) was born. From thence we decamped to stay half a year with Mr. Fetherston, a clergyman, about seven miles from Wicklow; who being a relation my mother's, invited us to his parsonage at Animo.It was in this parish during our stay, that I had that wonderful escape in falling through a mill-race whilst the mill was going, and of being taken up unhurt: the story is incredible, but known for truth in all that part of Ireland, where hundreds of the common people flocked to see me. From hence we followed the regiment to Dublin, where we lay in the barracks a year. In this year (1721) I learnt to write, &c.-The regiment ordered, in twenty-two, to Carrickfergus, in the north of Ireland. We all decamped; but got no further than Drogheda: thence ordered to Mullengar,


forty miles west, where, by Providence, we stumbled upon a kind relation, a collateral descendant from archbishop Sterne, who took us all to his castle, and kindly entertained us for a year, and sent us to the regiment at Carrickfergus, loaded with kindnesses, &c. A most rueful and tedious journey had we all (in March) to Carrickfergus, where we arrived in six or seven days.-Little Devijeher here died; he was three years old-He had been left behind at nurse at a farmhouse near Wicklow, but was fetched to us by my father the summer after-Another child sent to fill his place, Susan. This babe too left us behind in this weary journey. The autumn of that year, or the spring after. wards (I forget which) my father got leave of his colo nel to fix me at school-which he did near Halifax, with an able master; with whom I stayed some time, till, by God's care of me, my cousin Sterne, of Elvington, became a father to me, and sent me to the university, &c. &c.-To pursue the thread of our story, my father's regiment was the year after ordered to Londonderry, where another sister was brought forth, Catherine, still living; but most unhappily estranged from me by my uncle's wickedness and her own folly. From this station the regiment was sent to defend Gibraltar, at the siege, where my father was run through the body by captain Phillips, in a duel (the quarrel began about a goose): with much difficulty he survived, though with an impaired constitution, which was not able to withstand the hardships it was put to; for he was sent to Jamaica, where he soon fell by the country fever, which took away his senses first, and made a child of him; and then, in a month or two, walking about continually without complaining, till the moment he sat down in an arm-chair, and breathed his last, which was at Port Antonio, on the north of the island. My father was a little smart man, active to the last degree in all exercises, most patient of fatigue and disappointments, of which it pleased God to give him full measure. He was in his temper somewhat rapid and hasty, but of a kindly, sweet disposition, void of all design, and so innocent in his own intentions, that he suspected no one; so that you might have cheated him ten times in a day,

if nine had not been sufficient for your purpose. My poor father died in March 1731. I remained at Halifax till about the latter end of that year, and cannot omit mentioning this anecdote of myself and schoolmaster-He had had the ceiling of the school-room new white-washed-the ladder remained there-I one unlucky day mounted it, and wrote with a brush, in large capital letters, LAU. STERNE, for which the usher severely whipped me. My master was very much hurt at this, and said, before me, that never should that name be effaced, for I was a boy of genius, and he was sure I should come to preferment.-This expression made me forget the stripes I had received.-In the year thirty-two, my cousin sent me to the university, where I staid some time. 'Twas there that I commenced a friendship with Mr. H- which has been

lasting on both sides.-I then came to York, and my uncle got me the living of Sutton; and at York I became acquainted with your mother, and courted her for two years-she owned she liked me; but thought herself not rich enough, or me too poor, to be joined together. She went to her sister's in S and I wrote to her often.-I believe then she was partly determined to have me, but would not say so. At her return she fell into a consumption and one evening that I was sitting by her, with an almost broken heart to see her so ill, she said, "My dear Laurey, I can never be yours, for I verily believe I have not long to live! but I have left you every shilling of my fortune."-Upon that she showed me her will. This generosity overpowered me.-It pleased God that she recovered, and I married her in the year 1741. My unclet and myself were then upon very good terms, for he soon got me the prebendary of York-but he quarrelled with me afterwards, because I would not write paragraphs in the

He was admitted of Jesus College, Cambridge, on the 6th of July, 1733, under the tuition of Mr. Cannon; matriculated March 29, 1735; admitted to the degree of B. A. in January 1736; and to that of M. A. at the commencement of 1740.

† Jaques Sterne, LL. D. He was prebendary of Durham, canon residentiary, precentor and prebendary of York, rector of Rise, and of Hornsey, both in the East Riding of Yorkshire. He died June 9, 1759.

[ocr errors]

newspapers-though he was a party-man, I was not, and detested such dirty work, thinking it beneath me. From that period he became my bitterest enemy.-By my wife's means I got the living of Stillington-a friend of hers in the south had promised her, that if she mar ried a clergyman in Yorkshire, when the living became vacant he would make her a compliment of it. I remained near twenty years at Sutton, doing duty at both places. I had then very good health. Books, paintingt, fiddling, and shooting, were my amusements. As to the 'squire of the parish, I cannot say we were upon a very friendly footing: but at Stillington, the family of the C-s showed us every kindness: 'twas most truly agreeable to be within a mile and a half of an amiable family, who were ever cordial friends.-In the year 1760, I took a house at York for your mother and yourself, and went up to London to publish my two first volumes of Shandy. In that year Lord Falconbridge presented me with the curacy of Coxwolda sweet retirement in comparison of Sutton. In sixtytwo I went to France, before the peace was concluded, and you both followed me. I left you both in France, and in two years after I went to Italy for the recovery of my health; and, when I called upon you, I tried to

It has, however, been insinuated, that he for some time wrote a periodical electioneering paper at York, in defence of the whig interest.-See Monthly Review, vol. liii. p. 344.

A specimen of his abilities in the art of designing may be seen in Mr. Wedhul's Poems, published in 1772.

The first edition was printed the preceding year at York.

The following is the order in which Mr. Sterne's publications appeared:

1747. The Case of Elijah and the Widow of Zerephath consi dered. A Charity Sermon preached on Good Friday, April 17, 1747, for the support of two charity-schools in York.

1750. The Abuses of Conscience. Set forth in a Sermon preached in the cathedral church of St. Peter, York, at the summer assizes, before the Hon. Mr. Baron Clive, and the Hon. Mr. Baron Smythe, on Sunday, July 29, 1750.

1759. Vol. 1 and 2 of Tristram Shandy.

1760. Vol. 1 and 2 of Sermons.

1761. Vol. 3 and 4 of Tristram Shandy.

.1762. Vol. 5 and 6 of Tristram Shandy.

1765. Vol. 7 and 8 of Tristram Shandy.

1766. Vol. 3, 4, 5, and 6 of Sermons. 1767. Vol. 9g of Tristram Shandy.

1768. The Sentimental Journey.

The remainder of his works were published after his death.

« ZurückWeiter »