Abbildungen der Seite


DORNBUSCH.—Died, at Dayton, Ohio, April 6, 1890, HENRY DORNBUSCH, late Captain 1st Ohio Volunteer Infantry, aged 6+ years, 7 months, 22 days.

HENRY DORNBUSCH was born in Niederhausen, Hesse Darmstadt, Prussia, August 14, 1825. Like all young men of that country, he had served two terms in the Prussian Army before coming to America. Thus he had a good military training before entering our service.

At the very outbreak of the War of the Rebellion, he was appointed first lieutenant of Company B, 1st Ohio Volunteer Infantry, then commanded by COLONEL ALEXANDER McD. McCook, on the 17th of August, 1861. He served in all the operations of the regiment with energy and skill, and was promoted to a captaincy on the 12th of April, 1863. At the battle of Stone's River, when the right wing was overpowered, and many of its organizations scattered or lost, he held his company together, and, with other fragments added to it, repelled a sharp attack of the enemy's cavalry, and safely rejoined the main body. For this gallant act, he was specially mentioned in the report of his commanding officer. At the battle of Chickamauga he fought with his accustomed gallantry, and was there seriously wounded, late on the afternoon of the first day's fight.

He returned to the field in time to take part in the Atlanta campaign, and was especially active at Buzzard Roost, on the 9th of May, and at Resaca, where he was again wounded. He rejoined his command before he was fully recovered, and was on duty till the muster out of the regiment, on the expiration of its term of service, August 6, 1861.

Since the close of the war, he resided at Dayton, where he enjoyed, as he deserved, the respect and esteem of his fellow-citizens and the love of his old companions-in-arms. An enthusiastic member of many army societies, he was always present at their Reunions, and contributed his full share to the pleasures of such occasions. He was, from its first organization, a member of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, and was also a Companion of the Loyal Legion.

CAPTAIN DORNBUSCH thoroughly enjoyed a soldier's life, and was admirably fitted for command. Endowed with unusual coolness and courage, he had the full confidence of his men. He always showed, on the march and in battle, those qualities which inspire respect and obedience. All who knew him, knew that he had made a record of which he might well be proud. He was also a manly and consistent Christian, and was one of the founders of the church to which he belonged.

His last illness was contracted during our Reunion at Chattanooga, where he caught a severe cold, from the effects of which he never recovered. A long and painful illness, borne with patience and resignation, ended at last in death. His life was filled up with faithful work for his country, his city, his family. His record is one which he stainlessly left to his children.


REMICK.-Died, in Clarkston, Oakland county, Michigan, March 30, 1889, ROYAL A. REMICK, late First-Lieutenant 230 Michigan Infantry, aged 19 years and 4 months.

ROYAL A. REMICK was born in Lincoln, Maine, November 30, 1839. When he was ten years old his father nioved to Michigan, which state was ever after his home. He had recently attained his majority when the war of the Rebellion broke out. He ardently wished to enter the service at once, and only yielded his desires at the earnest entreaty of his aged father. When the second call came, in 1862, he could no longer delay, and he enlisted in the 23d Michigan as a private on the 20 of July, 1862. He was soon after appointed sergeant; was promoted to be second lieutenant, October 6, 1864, and first-lieutenant on the 25th of November following.

With his regiment, he went into Kentucky during the invasion by BRAGG's army. When the Army of the Cumberland was reorganized, the 23d Michigan remained in Kentucky, and subsequently was assigned to the 23d Corps. With his regiment he went through all the campaigns in which the corps participated, and was actively engaged in every action from Paris, Kentucky, to Goldsboro, North Carolinataking part in the Atlanta and Nashville campaigns, in both of which he was distinguished for his gallantry.

At the close of his service he was mustered out, September 13, 1865, and returned to his home in Michigan. His father, dying, left him a large stock farm, where he spent most of his time, having also a home in Detroit. He had a large circle of friends throughout the state, by whom he was held in high esteem. Some years ago he was appointed by GOVERNOR ALGER one of the managers of the Soldiers' Home, a position for which he was well qualified, and in which he served with credit.

Though somewhat of an invalid for some months, death came at last painlessly and suddenly. He leaves a widow and three children.

Besides his membership of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, he was a Companion of the Loyal Legion and a Comrade of the Grand Army of the Republic.



Badge of the Army of the Cumberland




No. 41.

At a meeting of the officers and enlisted men of the Army of the Cumberland, serving in this vicinity, held at the Headquarters of the Artillery Command of the Fourth Army Corps, on Saturday, June 10th inst., for the purpose of considering the propriety of adopting a badge to signalize and perpetuate the history of the Army of the Cumberland, it was unanimously agreed to adopt such a badge, and the following officers were appointed a committee to report a design for the same:


master, Department of the Cumberland; BREVET BRIGADIER-GENERAL E. OPDYCKE, Commanding Brigade,

Fourth Corps; BREVET COLONEL W. H. GREENWOOD, Assistant Inspector-Gen

eral, Fourth Corps ; LIEUTENANT-COLONEL W. L. FOULKE, Forty-Sixth Pennsylvania

Volunteer Infantry; CAPTAIN R. H. Litson, Twenty-second Indiana Volunteer In


On motion, the following preamble and resolutions were then adopted :

WHEREAS, Many of the soldiers of the Army of the Cumberland are about to abandon the profession of arms, and again mingle in the peaceful pursuits of home

Resolved, That, in parting with each other, we do so with mingled feelings of sorrow, sadness, and pride; sorrow, because friends, bound together by ties formed on many battle fields, must part; sadness, at turning our backs upon the thousands of fresh-made graves of our brave comrades; and pride, because it has been our good fortune to be numbered among the members of the Army of the Cumberland, and have each done his part in proving to the world that republics have the ability to maintain and perpetuate themselves.

Resolved, That, in parting, we do, as we have many times done in the face of the enemy, renew our pledges of unending fidelity to each other; and that, in whatever position in life we may happen to be, we will never permit our affections to be estranged from those who continue to fight our battles, but that we will sustain and defend them at all times and in all proper places.

Resolved, That the following named persons, and none others, are authorized to wear the badge of the Army of the Cumberland :

I. All soldiers of that army now in service and in good standing.

II. All soldiers who formerly belonged to that army, and have. received honorable discharges from the same.

Resolved, That any soldier of the Army of the Cumberland who is now entitled to wear the badge of the army, who may hereafter be dishonorably dismissed the service, shall by such discharge forfeit the right to wear such badge.

Resolved, That we exhort all members of the Army of the Cumber

« ZurückWeiter »