Abbildungen der Seite

As was to be expected, he took an active part in political affairs in Kentucky, and soon became known as an eloquent and effective speaker. He early espoused the principles of the Republican party, to which he remained attached till bis death. He edited for a while “ The Lexington Statesman," and made it one of the ablest papers in the state. In 1871, he was elected to the legislature in a district believed to be overwhelmingly opposed to him in politics. His success was the result of his ardent and energetic eloquence. Two years later he was chosen to the state senate against even greater odds. In 1875, he was candidate for attorney-general, but, of course, the contest was hopeless. It had, however, the result of making him well known throughout the country as an impassioned and eloquent speaker, and in the Presidential campaign which followed his voice was heard on the stump from Maine to Mississippi. “His style was fervid and ornate; his manner and declamation full of zeal and passion ; he never failed to arouse enthusiasm in his audience.”

In January, 1878, he was appointed Minister of the United States to Belgium. This position he held for more than three years, with credit to himself and the country. “His unostentatious and free-handed hospitality won for him that regard which was always had for him in the home of his boyhood.” On his return to Kentucky, he resumed the political relations which he had before held, and soon became again a leader in his party. Out of this leadership, natural and easy to a man of CAPTAIN GOODLOE's abilities and training, grew the unfortunate feud which at last was ended by his untimely and tragic death. He continued an active and earnest advocate of the principles so dear to him under all circumstances and in every locality. He was an early advocate of the right of the negro to give testimony and to vote, at a time and in places where such advocacy demanded a courage as great as that of a soldier, and a discretion and readiness of resource far greater. He was a delegate to the national conventions in 1876, 1880, 1884, and 1888.

In June, 1889, he was appointed collector of internal revenue of the seventh district of Kentucky, which office he held at the time of his death.

[ocr errors]

This is not the place to discuss the manner in which he met his tragic fate. Every circumstance, however, shows that he was unarmed; that he had pledged himself not to resort to methods unhappily frequent in some parts of the country, by which quarrels are sometimes disposed of, and, that in all that he did he acted strictly on the defensive.

CAPTAIN GOODLOE's personal and domestic life was full of charm and pleasantness. Married in 1865 to one fitted in all things to his companionship, his highest happiness was in his home. He was the father of eight children, all orphaned by his sad taking off. “In his private intercourse, whether with friends or opponents, he was one of the most amiable and kindly of men, careful and considerate of the feelings of others, and even in his most confidential communications circumspect in the terms in which he referred to the absent; a dignified and gentlemanly courtesy, which was the product of his sense of justice and of his self-respect. He was extremely proud, but neither vain por baughty; brave and high-spirited, but neither turbulent nor truculent in manner or disposition. His own home was the seat of domestic virtues, for he was a loving husband and devoted father ; his abode of quiet hospitality, which made it one of the chief attractions of the community to the stranger. Gay and cheery, he was himself a welcome guest at every hearth, and an ornament and loved figure at every social gathering. Alas! that a life so noble and beautiful in its honorable past, to which there were so many and bright promises for its future, should have had such an ending !"

He became a member of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland in 1883, and was also a Companion of the Ohio Commandery of the Loyal Legion.


CROWELL.–Died, in Cleveland, Ohio, December 30, 1885, John CrowELL, late Captain and Assistant Adjutant-General of Volunteers, aged 45 years, 5 months, 23 days.

JOHN CROWELL was born in Warren, Ohio, July 7, 1840. His father, John CROWELL, Sr., was a lawyer of distinction in that region; and had served several terms in both branches of the Ohio legislature.

When John was thirteen years old, his father moved to Cleveland, where the rest of his life was passed. Fitting for college in the school of that city, he entered Kenyon College in 1857, graduating in 1861, when twenty-one years of age. In June, 1862, he enlisted in Company D, of the 84th Ohio Infantry, and accompanied that regiment into West Virginia and Maryland. He was mustered out September 10, 1862. He re-entered the service on the 1st of May, 1863, , having been appointed assistant adjutant-general, and assigned to duty with BRIGADIER-GENERAL W. B. HAZEN, with whose brigade he was afterward identified. He served with efficiency and courage during the Chickamauga campaign, and is mentioned with commendation by his commander.

· He continued in the service till the war ended, resigning on the 6th of May, 1865, after two years of active and useful duty. Returning to Cleveland, he studied law, and was soon after admitted to practice. He met with immediate success, and was rapidly taking rank among the leading members of the bar when he died suddenly of heart disease.

CAPTAIN CROWELL was early a member of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, and was also a Companion of the Loyal Legion. “He was clear headed and warm hearted, bright and witty, eminently social and popular.”

He left a wife and five young children.


DORNBUSCH. - Died, at Dayton, Ohio, April 6, 1890, HENRY DORNBUSCH, late Captain 1st Ohio Volunteer Infantry, aged 64 years, 7 months, 22 days.

HENRY DORNBUSCH was born in Niederhausen, Hesse Darmstadt, Prussia, August 14, 1825. Like all young men of that country, he had served two terms in the Prussian Army before coming to America. Thus he had a good military training before entering our service.

At the very outbreak of the War of the Rebellion, he was appointed first lieutenant of Company B, 1st Ohio Volunteer Infantry, then commanded by COLONEL ALEXANDER McD. McCook, on the 17th of August, 1861. He served in all the operations of the regiment with energy and skill, and was promoted to a captaincy on the 12th of April, 1863. At the battle of Stone's River, when the right wing was overpowered, and many of its organizations scattered or lost, he held his company together, and, with other fragments added to it, repelled a sharp attack of the enemy's cavalry, and safely rejoined the main body. For this gallant act, he was specially mentioned in the report of his commanding officer. At the battle of Chickamauga he fought with his accustomed gallantry, and was there seriously wounded, late on the afternoon of the first day's fight.

He returned to the field in time to take part in the Atlanta campaign, and was especially active at Buzzard Roost, on the 9th of May, and at Resaca, where he was again wounded. He rejoined his command before he was fully recovered, and was on duty till the muster out of the regiment, on the expiration of its term of service, August 6, 1864.

Since the close of the war, he resided at Dayton, where he enjoyed, as he deserved, the respect and esteem of his fellow-citizens and the love of his old companions-in-arms. An enthusiastic member of many army societies, he was always present at their Reunions, and contributed his full share to the pleasures of such occasions. He was,

from its first organization, a member of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, and was also a Companion of the Loyal Legion.

CAPTAIN DORNBUSCH thoroughly enjoyed a soldier's life, and was admirably fitted for command. Endowed with unusual coolness and courage, he had the full confidence of his men. He always showed, on the march and in battle, those qualities which inspire respect and obedience. All who knew him, knew that he had made a record of which he might well be prond. He was also a manly and consistent Christian, and was one of the founders of the church to which he belonged.

His last illness was contracted during our Reunion at Chattanooga, where he caught a severe cold, from the effects of which he never recovered. A long and painful illness, borne with patience and resignation, ended at last in death. His life was filled up with faithful work for his country, his city, his family. His record is one which he stainlessly left to his children.


REMICK.-Died, in Clarkston, Oakland county, Michigan, March 30, 1889, ROYAL A. REMICK, late First-Lieutenant 23d Michigan Infantry, aged 49 years and 4 months.

ROYAL A. REMICK was born in Lincoln, Maine, November 30, 1839. When he was ten years old his father moved to Michigan, which state was ever after his home. He had recently attained his majority when the war of the Rebellion broke out. He ardently wished to enter the service at once, and only yielded his desires at the earnest entreaty of his aged father. When the second call came, in 1862, he could no longer delay, and he enlisted in the 23d Michigan

« ZurückWeiter »