Abbildungen der Seite

those who knew him, as a rare and bright type of friend—whose friendship knew not calculation or stinted impulse.

6." The friends thou hast, and their adoption tried,

Grapple them to thy soul with hooks of steel.'

If in the great hereafter it is permitted us to know and greet those we love here-their earthly characteristics not blotted out, but purified and perfected—there remain between this gallant spirit and those who knew and loved him here joyful greetings of reunion in the world of eternity.”


READ.- Died, in Fernandina, Florida, October 4, 1889, JOSEPH CORSON READ, late Lieutenant-Colonel and Commissary of Subsistence, United States Volunteers, aged 58 years, 4 months, 7 days.

JOSEPH CORSON READ was born in Norristown, Pennsylvania, May 28, 1831. Here his early days were passed. He received an excellent education at Fremont Seminary in that town; and afterward was engaged in mercantile pursuits.

At the outbreak of the war, he enlisted in April, 1861, in Company B, 4th Regiment of Pennsylvania Infantry, commanded by COLONEL JOHN F. HARTRANFT. At the expiration of his three months service, he was commissioned Second-Lieutenant of Company F, 51st Pennsylvania Infantry, and was mustered into service September 2, 1861. He was soon after detailed as acting commissary of subsistence. His regiment was attached to the BURNSIDE expedition, and he took part in the capture of Hatteras. In the subsequent autumn, he served on the staff of GENERAL RENO, who was killed at

Antietam. His services here are mentioned with commendation in GENERAL BURNSIDE's report.

At the close of this campaign, he was placed in charge of the depot of supplies at Harper's Ferry and the neighboring region. His duties here were performed most satisfactorily.

He was appointed commissary of subsistence, with the rank of captain, July 22, 1862, continuing with the Army of the Potomac until after the Gettysburg campaign, when he was sent to the Army of the Cumberland, where, during the long and arduous Atlanta campaign, he served as chief commissary in the field, with the rank of lieutenantcolonel. He was full of life, energy, activity, and forethought, and performed all his duties with entire satisfaction.

He was retained in service until February, 1866. When mus. tered out, he went to Minnesota to engage in the lumber business. In 1868, he went to Florida, where he continued the same business till the time of his death. His works here were extensive, and he conducted his business with energy and success. But a few years before his death a heart trouble, which was brought on by his exposures during the war, seriously affected him, and his later years were a struggle with adverse health and fortunes.

In August, 1873, COLONEL READ married MIMA, daughter of THOMAS J. BURIM, of Cleveland, Ohio. She, with two children, still survives.

COLONEL READ was one of the most genial and generous of men. Warm-hearted, self-forgetful, always ready to lend a helping hand, his life was filled with pleasant deeds. Those who knew him best loved him most. His record as a soldier was of the best. The comrades who then knew him will never forget his bright and cheery presence, his abounding activity, and his hearty good nature.


Scovill.--Died, in Cleveland, Ohio, April 20, 1890, EDWARD ALEXANDER Scovill, late Lieutenant-Colonel of the 128th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, aged 70 years, 5 months, and 29 days.

EDWARD ALEXANDER SCOVILL was born in Cleveland, December 22, 1819, and continued a resident of that place until his death. He was the son of Philo and JEMIMA SCOVILL, who were notable, among the early settlers, for public spirit and energy, as well as for personal worth. He very early showed the traits which always distinguished him, and made him a favorite. He was genial, frank, manly, and trustworthy. He was also greatly interested in all outdoor sports and games, and became a master with the rod and gun. He was an active fireman.

In 1839, he helped to organize the “ Cleveland Grays,” a noted military battalion, and was assigned to the artillery squad, which afterward developed into the Cleveland Light Artillery, and was, in 1861, the nucleus of the famous 1st Regiment of Ohio Light Artillery, which brought to the field so many able battery commanders.

At the outbreak of the Rebellion, MR. SCOVILL was placed, by GOVERNOR DENNISON, on his staff, and assigned to the charge of ordnance. Here he rendered most useful and efficient service. In December, 1861, he was commissioned captain of the "HOFFMAN Battalion,” stationed at Johnson's Island, as, guard over the prisoners of war encamped there. In time, this battalion was recruited to a full regiment—the 128th Ohio Infantry. On the 25th of August, 1863, CAPTAIN SCOVILL was promoted major, and August 6, 1864, lieutenantcolonel. He was continued on duty at Johnson's Island throughout his term of service. If not a post of distinction, it was one involving the constant exercise of discretion, promptness, decision, and energy. More than 15,000 prisoners, mostly officers, came under his control.

The memorable conspiracy to seize the steamers, liberate the prisoners, and destroy the lake cities, was one of the incidents of his service. Yet so humanely did he conduct his duties that he made many lifelong friends among those whom the fortunes of war had made his prisoners.

He was mustered out of service, April 20, 1865. He devoted himself, for a few years, to active business; but some twelve years before his death retired, finding sufficient occupation in the care of a large estate of which he was one of the heirs. He was an active member of many fishing and shooting clubs, and was held in high esteem as a comrade, naturalist, and sportsman. He also was a constant attendant upon the evening gatherings at the “Ark,” an institution known to all the older generation in Cleveland. He retained a strong attachment to his military associations, and was a thoroughly devoted Companion of the Loyal Legion, a member of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, and a Comrade of Memorial Grand Army Post, of Cleveland. He was ever generous in his care for any who had fallen into misfortune, or to whom life had been unpropitious.

His later years were saddened by the death of his wife; and for the year before his own death a painful heart trouble compelled him to give up his former activities. But to the last he remained the same hearty, genial, kindly gentleman.

He left two sons, both residents of Cleveland.
• 19


GOODLOE.—Died, in Lexington, Kentucky, November 10, 1889, WillIAM Cassius GOODLOE, late Captain and Assistant Adjutant-General of Volunteers, U. S. A., aged 48 years, 4 months, 13 days.

WILLIAM Cassius GOODLOE was born in Madison county, Kentucky, June 27, 1841. By his ancestry he was connected with some of the best known families in that state-the CLAYS, the SPEEDS, and others equally identified with the history and politics of Kentucky. From his earliest youth, he enjoyed all the advantages which come of such birth and surroundings. He attended the schools of Lexington, and afterward graduated at Transylvania University in 1861.

He was not of age when the war of the Rebellion broke out; and, though a pronounced Union man in his sentiments, he did not, at first, enter the military service. His mother's uncle, GENERAL Cassius M. Clay, having been appointed Minister to Russia by PRESIDENT LINCOLN, invited young GOODLOE to accompany him to St. Petersburg as an attaché of the embassy. The offer was accepted, but as the war went on, the patriotic young American could not remain abroad while his country was in danger. He returned to Kentucky and volunteered as aide to GENERAL NELSON, serving with him in the disastrous campaign against Kirby Smith, in Eastern Kentucky, in the autumn of 1862.

He was captured at Richmond, and remained on parole till May, 1863. On the 1st of June, 1863, he was appointed assistant adjutantgeneral, with the rank of captain, and was assigned to duty with the brigade of GENERAL GREEN CLAY SMITH. His service was chiefly with the cavalry operating in Kentucky. While so serving he was authorized to recruit a regiment of heavy artillery. He was so engaged, when he was seriously injured by the fall of his horse. This accident unfitted him for further service. He resigned on the 31st of January, 1864.

« ZurückWeiter »