Abbildungen der Seite

husband in a rebel prison, the mother was left, with two young daughters, to take care of them and herself, as best she might, amid the fury of contending factions and the sweep of war. The end of the conflict restored to her her sons, but, for her husband, only the sad privilege of having his ashes brought back to rest near his old home. Such experiences were not uncommon in East Tennessee. It illustrates the nobility of ColonEL THORNBURG H's character, that, when he returned to his old home, at the close of the war, when the Union cause was wholly triumphant, and ample opportunities offered for reprisal upon those who had wronged him, he refrained from doing any thing that savored of revenge. Though brave, outspoken, and even aggressive in character, and an enthusiastic member of his political party, he commanded the sincere respect of his opponents and numbered among his earnest and devoted personal friends men who had adhered to the cause of the rebellion.

After making his escape from the Confederate lines, Colonel THORNBURGH enlisted as a private among the troops serving under GENERAL GEORGE W. MORGAN. When the 4th Tennessee Cavalry was organized, he was, on the 11th of July, 1863, commissioned lieutenant-colonel. The regiment at once took the fieldi, serving first in middle Tennessee and afterward in Mississippi, where he took an active part in the battles of West Point and Okolona. In March, 1864, he marched with a brigade from Memphis to Nashville, and was afterward stationed at Decatur, Alabama, where he remained during the ensuing campaign. Early in 1865, he was sent to New Orleans, and afterward to Mobile, his regiment being the first cavalry regiment to enter that city after its surrender. On the 17th of June, 1865, he resigned the service, and the regiment was mustered out July 6th.

"Colonel THORNBURGH was to his men in the regiment what he was to his friends in after years—ever ready to serve them, and always insisted on and would have them well clothed and well fed when such supplies could be had."

He had been licensed to practice law shortly before the outbreak of the war. As soon as peace returned, he entered actively upon the practice of his profession, first in his native county, and afterward at Knoxville. In 1886, PRESIDENT Johxsox appointed him major in the 7th Regular Cavalry, an appointment which he declined. He was elected attorney-general of his district, where he did all he could, with zeal and judgment, to repress disorder, maintain law, and calm the passions irritated by war. As a lawyer, he took a high rank from the beginning. He was diligent in preparation, honorable in his dealings, well versed in legal principles, skillful and forcible in their application and presentation, and thoroughly capable in all the details of trial.

In 1872, COLONEL THORNBURGH was elected to Congress from a district which had been arranged for the express purpose of defeating him. But such was his personal popularity and the grateful sense among his political opponents of his magnanimous course at the close of the war, that he received a large majority over both opposing candidates. He served in Congress for two terms, with uprightness, diligence, and skill. But for failing health, he probably would have had · a longer public service. He, however, in spite of his sufferings, continued in the practice of the law till shortly before his death.

He was married during the war to Miss MARTHA ADALINE Smith, of Monroe county, Tennessee, and his wife accompanied him during much of his campaigns. He loved to remember one eventful day, when, after suceessfully repulsing a desperate attack of FORREST, at Huntsville, Alabama, he rode out with the forces pursuing the retreating enemy to a farm house where the women of the city had been sent for safety, and there seeing his bride, who had been waiting in such terrible anxiety within sound of the uncertain conflict.

While a member of Congress, his wife died; and he was subsequently married to Miss LAURA PETTIBONE, who, with three daughters and a son, survives him. His home life was happy in the charming home whose memories are delightful to those who enjoyed admis. sion to the domestic circle.

“He was a brave and honest man; an upright and valued citizen; a gallant and faithful soldier; an able and prominent lawyer; a wise and patriotic legislator. But he will be best remembered, by

those who knew him, as a rare and bright type of friend—whose friendship knew not calculation or stinted impulse.

6. The friends thou hast, and their adoption tried,

Grapple them to thy soul with hooks of steel.'

•“ If in the great hereafter it is permitted us to know and greet those we love here-their earthly characteristics not blotted out, but purified and perfected—there remain between this gallant spirit and those who knew and loved him here joyful greetings of reunion in the world of eternity.”


READ.- Died, in Fernandina, Florida, October 4, 1889, JOSEPH CORSON READ, late Lieutenant-Colonel and Commissary of Subsistence, United States Volunteers, aged 58 years, 4 months, 7 days.

JOSEPH Corson READ was born in Norristown, Pennsylvania, May 28, 1831. Here his early days were passed. He received an excellent education at Fremont Seminary in that town; and afterward was engaged in mercantile pursuits.

At the outbreak of the war, he enlisted in April, 1861, in Company B, 4th Regiment of Pennsylvania Infantry, commanded by Colonel John F. HARTRANFT. At the expiration of his three months service, he was commissioned Second-Lieutenant of Company F, 51st Pennsylvania Infantry, and was mustered into service September 2, 1861. He was soon after detailed as acting commissary of subsistence. His regiment was attached to the BURNSIDE expedition, and he took part in the capture of Hatteras. In the subsequent autumn, he served on the staff of GENERAL Reso, who was killed at

[ocr errors]

Antietam. His services here are mentioned with commendation in GENERAL BURNSIDE's report.

· At the close of this campaign, he was placed in charge of the depot of supplies at Harper's Ferry and the neighboring region. His duties here were performed most satisfactorily.

He was appointed commissary of subsistence, with the rank of captain, July 22, 1862, continuing with the Army of the Potomac until after the Gettysburg campaign, when he was sent to the Army of the Cumberland, where, during the long and arduous Atlanta campaign, he served as chief commissary in the field, with the rank of lieutenantcolonel. He was full of life, energy, activity, and forethought, and performed all his duties with entire satisfaction.

He was retained in service until February, 1866. When mus. tered out, he went to Minnesota to engage in the lumber business. In 1868, he went to Florida, where he continued the same business till the time of his death. His works here were extensive, and he conducted his business with energy and success.

But a few years before his death a heart trouble, which was brought on by his exposures during the war, seriously affected him, and his later years were a struggle with adverse health and fortunes.

In August, 1873, COLONEL READ married Mima, daughter of THOMAS J. BURIM, of Cleveland, Ohio. She, with two children, still survives.

COLONEL READ was one of the most genial and generous of men. Warm-hearted, self-forgetful, always ready to lend a helping hand, his life was filled with pleasant deeds. Those who knew him best loved him most. His record as a soldier was of the best. The comrades who then knew him will never forget his bright and cheery presence, his abounding activity, and his hearty good nature.


SCOVILL.–Died, in Cleveland, Ohio, April 20, 1890, EDWARD ALEXANDER Scovili, late Lieutenant-Colonel of the 128th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, aged 70 years, 5 months, and 29 days.

EDWARD ALEXANDER Scovill was born in Cleveland, December 22, 1819, and continued a resident of that place until his death. He was the son of Philo and JEMIMA Scovill, who were notable, among the early settlers, for public spirit and energy, as well as for personal worth. He very early showed the traits which always distinguished him, and made him a favorite. He was genial, frank, manly, and trustworthy. He was also greatly interested in all outdoor sports and games, and became a master with the rod and gun. He was an active fireman.

In 1839, he helped to organize the “ Cleveland Grays," a noted military battalion, and was assigned to the artillery squad, which afterward developed into the Cleveland Light Artillery, and was, in 1861, the nucleus of the famous 1st Regiment of Ohio Light Artillery, which brought to the field so many able battery commanders.

At the outbreak of the Rebellion, Mr. ScoviLL was placed, by GOVERNOR DENNISON, on his staff, and assigned to the charge of ord.

Here he rendered most useful and efficient service. In December, 1861, he was commissioned captain of the “HOFFMAN Battalion,” stationed at Johnson's Island, as guard over the prisoners of war encamped there. In time, this battalion was recruited to a full regiment—the 128th Ohio Infantry. On the 25th of August, 1863, CAPTAIN SCOVILL was promoted major, and August 6, 1864, lieutenantcolonel. He was continued on duty at Johnson's Island throughout his term of service. If not a post of distinction, it was one involving the constant exercise of discretion, promptness, decision, aud energy. More than 15,000 prisoners, mostly officers, came under his control.


« ZurückWeiter »