Abbildungen der Seite

for some years a trustee of the Cincinnati Hospital, and was largely instrumental in the erection of its present building. Whatever work he undertook he executed with entire devotion. He was an early member of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, as well as a companion of the Loyal Legion.

His character and achievements have been well summed up in the tribute paid him by a friend the day after his death : “ Taken altogether, his life was of remarkable usefulness to his fellow-beings. Few men have been so favored by opportunity or so well able to seize opportunities offered. With all his distinguished services in war and peace, he was a modest and unassuming man, little given to reverting to his own deeds, but rather preferring to look forward into the future and see what might yet be accomplished.”


BRIDGLAND.—Died, at Fairland, Shelby county, Indiana, July 29, 1890, JOHN ALEXANDER BRIDGLAND, late Colonel of the 20 Indiana Cavalry, aged 63 years, 7 months, 26 days.

John ALEXANDER BRIDGLAND was born at Lynchburg, Virginia, December 3, 1826. He was the only son of ALEXANDER and HARRIET (THOMSON] BRIDGLAND. His father owned a large estate, and lived in handsome style; but, at his death, which occurred when John was only twelve years old, it was found that all his property was involved in obligations incurred as surety for others. Thus his widow and children were left without means of support.

Thus deprived of the opportunity of receiving a liberal education, to which he had looked forward, and the lack of which was always a source of regret, the young boy found himself obliged to earn a livelihood for his mother and sisters, as well as for himself. He ac

cepted the task with courage and devotion. When about twenty years of age, the Mexican war broke out, and he started out for Vera Cruz in charge of some horses for a troop commanded by a relative. He was shipwrecked, barely escaping with his life; but he succeeded in reaching the City of Mexico in time to witness the triumphal entry of our army under GENERAL SCOTT.

On his way home, he passed through a critical illness of yellow fever at New Orleans, and, on reaching Cincinnati, found employment in the wholesale tobacco business. He soon after removed to Richmond, Indiana, where he continued the same business, which, under his hands, grew to large proportion, and by which, in a few years, he acquired a handsome fortune. He always took an ardent interest in political affairs—first as a whig, then in the momentary Know-nothing party, and finally as a Republican, and an active supporter of ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

At the outbreak of the war, he allied himself with GOVERNOR MORTON in all his measures to sustain the national government, giving of his time, his means, and his personal influence to the cause. He early interested himself in obtaining recruits, and as soon as he could arrange his business affairs, offered his own services, and was commissioned colonel of the 20 Indiana Cavalry. He was mustered into service, September 3, 1861, and the regiment was sent into Kentucky and assigned to Camp Wickliffe, under the command of GENERAL Nelson, in December following. It took part in the advance of the army to Nashville in February, 1862, and marched with it to the field of Shiloh, though arriving too late to take an active part in that great battle.

During this time, the health of COLONEL BRIDGLAND gave way, and he was reluctantly compelled to leave the army, resigning on the 22d of May, 1862. The regiment which he had organized and had commanded continued to the end of the war one of the best in the army.

But though unable to continue in the field, COLONEL BRIDGLAND was as active and devoted in private life as before to the welfare of the republic. In 1873, he was appointed Consul of the United

States at Havre, where he remained for a number of years, fulfilling his duties in an efficient and able manner. On leaving that post he again made his home in Richmond.

He was married, in 1848, to Miss CAROLINE GILBERT, who died in 1880, leaving one daughter, now living in Seville, Spain.


THORNBURGH.—Died, at Knoxville, Tennessee, September 19, 1890, JACOB MONTGOMERY THOBNBURGH, late Colonel 4th Tennessee Cavalry, U. S. Volunteers, aged 53 years, 2 months, 16 days.

JACOB MONTGOMERY THORNBURGH was born at Newmarket, Jefferson county, Tennessce, July 3, 1837. His father, MONTGOMERY THORNBURGH, was a prominent lawyer in that region, and had served for several years in the state senate, and as attorney-general of his circuit. His prominence and influence, in the early days of the war, were so great that he was arrested by the Confederate authorities in military occupancy of the country and sent south, where he died, a prisoner, without again seeing his family. Jacob, the oldest son, crossed the mountains, alone and on foot, to enlist in the Union army. For days and nights he lay concealed by a log, watching his opportunity to slip past the Confederate outposts. brother, MAJOR T. T. THORNBURGH, who was afterward killed in battle with the Ute Indians, about the same time attempted to gain the Union lines with a large party. They were attacked by Confederate cavalry and most of them captured. Young THORNBURGH escaped and entered the Union army.

With both her sons absent, fighting for their country, and her

His younger

husband in a rebel prison, the mother was left, with two young daughters, to take care of them and herself, as best she might, amid the fury of contending factions and the sweep of war. The end of the conflict restored to her her sons, but, for her husband, only the sad privilege of having his ashes brought back to rest near his old home. Such experiences were not uncommon in East Tennessee. It illustrates the nobility of ColonEL THORNBURGA's character, that, when he returned to his old homė, at the close of the war, when the Union cause was wholly triumphant, and ample opportunities offered for reprisal upon those who had wronged him, he refrained from doing any thing that savored of revenge. Though brave, outspoken, and even aggressive in character, and an enthusiastic member of his political party, he commanded the sincere respect of his opponents and numbered among his earnest and devoted personal friends men who had adhered to the cause of the rebellion.

After making his escape from the Confederate lines, COLONEL THORNBURGH enlisted as a private among the troops serving under GENERAL GEORGE W. MORGAN. When the 4th Tennessee Cavalry was organized, he was, on the 11th of July, 1863, commissioned lieutenant-colonel. The regiment at once took the field, serving first in middle Tennessee and afterward in Mississippi, where he took an active part in the battles of West Point and Okolona. In March, 1864, he marched with a brigade from Memphis to Nashville, and was afterward stationed at Decatur, Alabama, where he remained during the ensuing campaign. Early in 1865, he was sent to New Orleans, and afterward to Mobile, his regiment being the first cavalry regiment to enter that city after its surrender. On the 17th of June, 1865, he resigned the service, and the regiment was mustered out July 6th.

“COLONEL THORNBURGH was to his men in the regiment what he was to his friends in after years—ever ready to serve them, and always insisted on and would have them well clothed and well fed when such supplies could be had.”

He had been licensed to practice law shortly before the outbreak of the war. 'As soon as peace returned, he entered actively upon the

practice of his profession, first in his native county, and afterward at Knoxville. In 1886, PRESIDENT JOHNsOn appointed him major in the 7th Regular Cavalry, an appointment which he declined. He was elected attorney-general of his district, where he did all he could, with zeal and judgment, to repress disorder, maintain law, and calm the passions irritated by war. As a lawyer, he took a high rank from the beginning. He was diligent in preparation, honorable in his dealings, well versed in legal principles, skillful and forcible in their application and presentation, and thoroughly capable in all the details of trial.

In 1872, COLONEL THORNBURGH was elected to Congress from a district which had been arranged for the express purpose of defeating him. But such was his personal popularity and the grateful sense among his political opponents of his magnanimous course at the close of the war, that he received a large majority over both opposing candidates. He served in Congress for two terms, with uprightness, diligence, and skill. But for failing health, he probably would have had · a longer public service. He, however, in spite of his sufferings, continued in the practice of the law till shortly before his death.

He was married during the war to Miss MARTHA ADALINE SMITH, of Monroe county, Tennessee, and his wife accompanied him during much of his campaigns. He loved to remember one eventful day, when, after suceessfully repulsing a desperate attack of FORREST, at Huntsville, Alabama, he rode out with the forces pursuing the retreating enemy to a farm house where the women of the city had been sent for safety, and there seeing his bride, who had been waiting in such terrible anxiety within sound of the uncertain conflict.

While a member of Congress, his wife died; and he was subsequently married to Miss LAURA PETTIBONE, who, with three daughters and a son, survives him. His home life was happy in the charming home whose memories are delightful to those who enjoyed admission to the domestic circle.

“He was a brave and honest man; an upright and valued citizen; a gallant and faithful soldier ; an able and prominent lawyer; a wise and patriotic legislator. But he will be best remembered, by

« ZurückWeiter »