Abbildungen der Seite


tween it and the old regiments of my brigade a feeling of companionship and mutual confidence.” In the magnificent assault on Missionary Ridge, on the 25th, COLONEL MARTIN was among the first to reach the summit. Afterward, he was among those who marched to the relief of GENERAL BURNSIDE at Knoxville. He passed the winter at Dandridge in command of the brigade.

Returning to Chattanooga, he took part in the Atlanta campaign, commanding his regiment from May 4 till August 25, 1864, when he was again assigned to command the 3d brigade, 3d division, 4th Corps. In this position he served till his muster out, November 17, 1864, on the expiration of bis term of service. In February, 1865, he received the brevet of brigadier-general of volunteers " for faithful and meritorious services."

Returning once more to civil life, he took up the occupation he had laid down when he entered the military service. He brought to his duties enlarged experience and greater vigor of mind and body. In March, 1865, his paper, hitherto a weekly, was made a daily. Even this additional labor did not exhaust his vitality or his round of duties. Perhaps no citizen of Kansas ever served in so many and so important trusts. In 1865, he was elected mayor of Atchison. Sub:sequently, and for twelve years, he was postmaster of that city. In 1884, he was chosen governor of the state, and was re-electod in 1886, filling that high position for four years with fidelity and dignity. He was a member of the Republican National Committee from 1868 to 1884, and for four years its secretary. He was one of the commissioners at the Centennial Exhibition, at Philadelphia, in 1876. He was one of the founders of the “Kansas Magazine;" a member of the Kansas Historical Society, and its president. From 1878 to his death, he was one of the managers of the National Soldiers' Home. In all his undertakings, he was faithful, painstaking, and trustworthy. In civil life he showed the same qualities that distinguished him as a soldier-steadfastness, devotion, a high sense of honor, a calm courage that never wavered, perfect sincerity, strict integrity, and indominable industry.

In January, 1889, at the expiration of his gubernatorial term,

He was

he returned to Atchison and resumed his editorial duties. then forty-nine years old, in the very prime of life, his strong frame apparently unbroken, even seeming strengthened by the passing of the years. His friends looked for nothing, wished nothing, for him save length of days and a healthy old age, like that of his father before him. Suddenly, a paragraph from his own hand announced the call of a stranger upon him--illness. . He suffered quietly and patiently, as was his wont. Words of sympathy and expressions of gratitude from comrades and friends cheered him. But nothing could hinder the inevitable hand.”

COLONEL MARTIN, as he liked to be called, cherished with peculiar affection and tenacity his military associations. Early a comrade of the Grand Army of the Republic, he was commander of the state department. He joined the Society of the Army of the Cumberland in 1870, and was, for many years, a vice-president for Kansas. He was one of the charter members of the Kansas Commandery of the Loyal Legion, and, at his death, was senior vice-commander.

His funeral was the occasion of the most imposing and affecting meeting ever known in the state. GENERAL McCook, with a detachment of troops from Fort Leavenworth, formed the funeral escort, which consisted of members of numerous military and civil organizations, with the state officials. Although, at his death, a private citizen, the courts adjourned on the announcement of his decease. The governor summoned a special meeting of the officers of the state, at which resolutions were adopted giving “public expression to the great loss the people of Kansas had suffered.” The Deep Harbor Convention, consisting of delegates from all the states between Kansas and the gulf, then in session at Topeka, adopted a similar tribute. His associates in the newspaper he had so long conducted were most fondly attached to him. One of them writes : "COLONEL MARTIN was most attracted by heroism in actual life. His ideal was a certain brave steadfastness. His blood was more stirred to hear of the courage that dies defending than of onsets and charges. His hero was GEORGE H. THOMAS, the · Rock of Chickamanga,' whose portrait hangs over the fire-place in his library.”

GENERAL MARTIN was married, June 1, 1871, to Miss IDA CHALLIS, of Atchison, who, with seven children, survives him. As a husband and father, the story of his life may be summed up in the lines :

“The bravest are the tenderest ;
The loving are the daring.”


HARRIS.—Died, in Cincinnati, Ohio, July 5, 1890, LEONARD A. HARRIS, late Colonel of the 2d, and the 137th, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, aged 63 years, 9 months, and 25 days.

LEONARD A. Harris was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, October 11, 1826, and that city continued his home till the day of his death. His early life was one of considerable deprivation, and his only schooling was that gained in the public schools of his native city; but his love of learning was insatiable, and he made himself an educated man by earnest and diligent study throughout his life.

His youthful experiences were the common ones for boys so born and reared. In his early manhood, he took an active interest in politics, and was from its beginning a member of the Republican party. In 1856, he was candidate for sheriff of Hamilton county, barely missing election. He was also interested in military affairs.

At the very outbreak of the war, he was commissioned captain of Company A, 2d Ohio Infantry, and as such was mustered into the service of the United States, April 17, 1861, two days after the issuing of the President's proclamation. His regiment was one of the first to march to Washington, and was in GENERAL SCHENCK's brigade at the battle of Bull Run. On the muster-out of the regiment, at the end of three months, it was reorganized with the same number, and CAPTAIN HARRIS was commissioned colonel, to rank from August 5, 1861. Under his command, the regiment was sent into Kentucky, and was placed on duty there under GENERAL O. M. MITCHEL and

GENERAL NELSON. His first encounter with the enemy was on the 7th of November at Ivy Mountain, where, under GENERAL NELSON'S direction, but " anticipating orders, he led his men up the northern ridge of the mountain and deployed them along the face of it, and along the crest, and went at them. Owing to the steepness of the mountain, all this required time; but in an hour and twenty minutes the rebels fled, leaving a number of killed and wounded and prisoners."

In the advance upon Nashville, COLONEL HARRIS was in MitchEL's division, and he marched with that general to Huntsville, where his regiment was assigned to Sill's brigade and placed on duty as provostguard. In the expedition against STEVENSON he took an active share, and saved the bridge at Bridgeport by a gallant dash.

When, in consequence of BRAGG's movement into Kentucky, it became necessary to abandon that region, COLONEL HARRIS was placed in command of the fort at Bridgeport, and was the last to leave, after having withstood a severe assault, saving all that could be brought away and burning the rest. His position here at the extreme front was plainly recognized by GENERAL BUELL as one of great delicacy and hazard. In the order sent him that general says: “Great reliance is placed on your courage and judgment in holding your post as long as your force is capable of doing it, and then in making good your retreat." The result showed that the reliance was not misplaced.

With the main army of GENERAL BUELL, he marched into Kentucky, and at the battle of Perryville commanded a brigade in the division of GENERAL ROUSSEAU. His conduct in the battle was marked by extreme gallantry and good conduct. The loss in his brigade was over twenty-six per cent of the number engaged, with scarcely any reported missing. Compelled at one part of the engagement to retire for lack of ammunition, after exhausting all that could be found among the dead and wounded, the brigade came again into action as soon as resupplied, and held its own till night. COLONEL HARRIS's conduct is mentioned in all the reports with great praise, and he was recommended for promotion by GENERAL BUELL, who urged that he had “earned it by qualifications and services.”

But the excessive labors and experiences through which he had passed-so seriously impaired his health that he found himself no longer fitted for service in the field. During a leave of absence, he was thrown from a carriage, and his hip-bone broken. Unable to re-enter upon active service, and unwilling to stand in the way of others, he resigned on the 4th of December, 1862, after nearly two years of most faithful duty most efficiently performed.

His fellow-citizens of Cincinnati, recognizing his great merits, in April, 1863, elected him mayor of that city. His conduct in that office was marked by the same vigor and efficiency as had distinguished him on the field. So highly were his services appreciated, that he was presented a house, in which he lived to the day of his death. While he was mayor, he drafted the law under which the “hundred day men," who guarded the lines of communication during the critical summer of 1864, were called out, and himself was comwissioned colonel of the 137th Ohio, which served at Fort McHenry and elsewhere in Maryland. In 1865, he was re-elected mayor, by an immense majority. In 1866, he was appointed collector of internal revenue by PRESIDENT JOHNson, and thenceforth allied himself with the party tbus represented. He held the office for four years, fulfilling his duties with industry, and retiring with unimpaired integrity. In 1879, he was a candidate for mayor, but was defeated. This was his last political experience.

Some years ago, he was elected by Congress as one of the managers of the Soldiers' Homes, and was vice-president of the board at the tinie of his death. In this, as in all other positions, he acted with fidelity to the great interests imposed upon him. The labors which it brought him became, at last, as he said, his practical life-work. “For awhile,” he declared, not many days before his death, “ the numerous demands of the veterans on my time were so irksome that I thought of resigning; but the more I reflected upon it the more I conceived it to be my duty to look after their interests, and now that duty has become one of my greatest delights.”

COLONEL HARRIS was one of the founders of the Cuvier Club, acknowledged to be one of the best of its kind in the world. He was

« ZurückWeiter »