Abbildungen der Seite

*Body in gibbets.The reader will recollect that the captain alluded to the wound Arnold received in one of his legs, at the attack upon Quebec, in 1776.

After his return from Virginia, he was appointed to conduct an expedition, the object of which was the town of New London, in his native county. The troops employed therein, were landed in two detachments, one on each side of the harbour. The one commanded by lieutenant colonel Eyre, and the other by Arnold. He took fort Trumbull without much opposition. Fort Griswold was furiously attacked by lieutenant colonel Eyre. The garrison defended themselves with great resolution, but after a severe conflict of forty minutes, the fort was carried by the enemy.' 'The Americans had not more than six or seven men killed, when the British carried the lines, but a severe execution took place afterwards, though resistance. had ceased. An officer of the conquering troops enquired, on his entering the fort, who commanded. Colonel Ledyard, presenting his sword, answered, “I did, but you do now;" and was immediately run through the body and killed. Between 30 and 40 were wounded, and about 40 were carried off prisoners. On the part of the British 48 were killed, and 145 wounded. About 15 vessels loaded with the effects of the inhabitants, retreated up the river, and four others remained in the harbour unhurt; but all excepting these were burned by the communication of fire from the burning stores. Sixty dwelling houses and eighty-four stores were reduced to ashes,' The loss which the Americans sustained by the destruction of nasal stores, of provisions, and merchandize, was immense. General Arnold having completed the object of the expedition, returned in eight days to New York. From the conclusion of the war till his death,


general Arnold resided chiefly in England. He died in Gloucester place, London, June 14, 1801. His character presents little to be commended.--His daring courage may indeed excite admiration; but it was a courage without reflection, and without principle. He fought bravely for his country, and he bled in her cause; but his country owed him no returns of gratitude, for his subsequent conduct proved, that he had no honest regard to her interests, but was governed by selfish considerations. His progress from self-indulgence to treason was easy and rapid. He was vain and luxurious, and to gratify his giddy desires, he must resort to meanness, dishonesty, and extortion. These vices brought with them disgrace; and the contempt into which he fell, awakened a spirit of revenge, and left him to the unrestrained influence of his cupidity and passion. Thus, from the high fame to which his bravery had elevated him, he descended into infamy. Thus too, he furnished new evidence of the infatuation of the human mind, in attaching such value to the reputation of a soldier, which may be obtained while the heart is unsound, and every moral sentiment is entirely depraved.

BARTLETT, JOSIAH, governor of New Hampshire, was born at Amesbury, in the county of Essex, Massachusetts, 21st November, 1729. His ancestors came from the south of England, and fixed at Newbury. The rudiments of his education he received at Amesbury, at the town school; and having a thirst for knowledge, he applied himself to books in various languages, in which he was assisted by a neighbouring clergyman, the reverend Mr. Webster, of Salisbury, an excellent scholar as well as judicious divine. Mr. Bartlett had the benefit of his library and conversatiori, while he studied physic with a gentleman, who was a practitioner in his native town. At the age of twenty-one, he began the practice of physic in

Kingston, and soon became very eminent in the line of his profession. In 1764, a field was opened for the useful display of his skill. The cynanche maligna became very prevalent in many towns of New Hamphshire, and was a fatal disease among children. The method of treating it was as a highly philogistic complaint; but he was led from his own reason and observations, to manage it diferently. He made use of the Peruvian bark, as an antidote and preventative, and his practice was successful. This afterwards become general among physicians.. .

In 1765, Dr. Bartlett was chosen a member of the legislature, and from this time was annually elected till the revolution. He soon after was made a justice of the peace. In 1770, he was appointed lieutenant colonel of the 7th regiment of militia. These commissions he was deprived of in 1774, on account of the active part he took in the controversy with Great Britain. This was a time when “the clashing of parties excited strong passions, which frequently gained the mastery of reason." The governor and council of New Hampshire, saw fit to dissolve the house of assembly, supposing that a new one might become more flexible, or be more subservient to their wishes. In the meanwhile, colonel Bartlett, with several others, planned a kind of authority, which was called a committee of safety. They met at Exeter, and in the course of events, were obliged to take upon themselves the whole executive government of the state. When a provincial congress had again organized the government, colonel Bartlett received a new appointment as justice of the peace, and colonel of the 7th regiment.

He was one of the first members who were chósen to represent the state in congress. Colonel Bartlett was prevented from accepting this honourable trust by the unhappy condition of his do

mestic affairs; his house having been burnt, his family were obliged to seek a shelter without any thing but the clothes they had upon them. He was elected member of the second congress whicli assembled at Philadelphia the next year, and also attended his duty in the same station, 1776. He was the first that signed the declaration of independence after the president.. . i :

In 1777, colonel Bartlett and general Peabody, were appointed agents to provide medical aid and other necessaries for the New Hampshire troops, who went with general Stark, and for this purpose repaired to Bennington, à spot distinguished by a battle very important in its consequences. In April, 1778, he again went as a delegate to congress. He returned in November, and would no longer appear as a candidate for that office.

When the state of New Hampshire was organizad, under a popular government, colonel Bartlett was appointed judge of the common pleas; in June, 1782, a judge of the supreme court; in 1788, chief justice.

In June, 1790, he was elected president of the state, which office he held till the constitution abrogated the oflice of president, and substituted the title of the chief magistrate, governor. He was then chosen the first governor of New Hampshire since the revolution. He resigned the chair in 1794, or account of his infirm state of health, and then retired from public business.

He had been the chief agent in forming the medical society of New Hampshire, which was ineorporated in 1791, of which he was president, till his public labours ceased, and when he resigned, be received a warm acknowledgment of his services and patronage, in a letter of thanks, which is now upon the records of the society. He was always a patron of learning and a friend to learned men. Without the advantages of a college education, he was an example to stimulate those who have been blessed with every advantage in early life; but can. not exhibit such improvement of their talents, or such exertions in the cause of literature. It was his opinion that republics cannot exist without knowledge and virtue in the people. .

He received an honorary degree of doctor of me-dicine from Dartmouth University. .

Governor Bartlett did not live long after he resigned his public employments. His health had been declining a number of years. He died suddenly, May, 1795.3

BIDDLE, NICHOLAS, captain in the American navy, during the revolutionary war, was born in the city of Philadelphia, in the year 1750. Among the brave men, who perished in the glorious struggle for the independence of Amerca, captain Bid. dlé holds a distinguished rank. His services, and the high expectations raised by his military genius and gallantry, have left a strong impression of his merit, and a profound regret that his early fate should have disappointed, so soon, the hopes of his country. - Very early in life he manifested a partiality for the sea, and before the age of fourteen he had made a voyage to Quebec. In the following year, 1765, ke sailed from Philadelphia to Jamaica, and the Bay of Honduras. The vessel left the Bay in the latter end of December, 1765, bound to Antigua, and on the second day of January, in a heavy gale of wind, she was cast away on a shoal, called the Northern Triangles. After remaining two nights and a day upon the wreck, the crew took to their yawl, the long-boat having been lost, and with great difficulty and hazard, landed on one of the small uninhabited islands, about three leagues distant from the reef, upon which they struck. Here they staid a few days. Some provisions were proeured from the wreck, and their boat was refitted.

« ZurückWeiter »