« ZurückWeiter »
18. | Then the Jews said to him, What sign shewest thou us for doing these things? 19. Jesus replied to them, Ye will destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. 20. Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in build. ing, (adorning,) and wilt thou rear it up in three days? 21. But he spake of the temple of his body.
22. Therefore, when he was risen from the dead; his disciples remembered that he said this to them, so they believed the scripture and his word.
23. Now, as he was in Jerusalem at the pass. over festival, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did. 24. But Jesus trust. ed not hiinself to them, because he knew all men; 25. And needed not that any testify of man; for he knew what was in man.
CHAP. III. CHRIST TEACHETH NICODEMUS. One of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews, 2. Came to Jesus by night, and said - to him, Rabbi, we know thou art a teacher come froin God; for none can do the miracles thou doest unless God be with him. 3. Jesus replied to him, Verily, verily, I tell thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4. Nicodemus saith to him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? 5. Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I tell thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, (become pure and spiritual) he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6. What is born of the flesh is flesh, and what is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7. Wonder not that I said to thee, Ye must be born from above. 8. The wind bloweth where it listeth; and thou hearest its sound, but canst not tell whence it comes, and whither it goes: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
9. Nicodemus replied to him, How can these things be? 10. Jesus answered him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? 11. Verily, verily, I tell thee, We speak what we know, and testify what we have seen; and ye receive not our testimony. 12. If I have told you (things done on the earth, spiritual things in figures taken from) earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe if I tell you heavenly things? 13. And none hath ascended to heaven, (i. 18. or known the secrets of the divine will and counsel), but he that descended from heaven, (i. 14. in assuming the human nature) even the Son of man, who is in heaven (in his divinity).
14. 1 And as Moses lifted up the (brazen, Num. xxi. 9.) serpent (on a pole) in the wilderness, so shall the Son of man be lifted up on the cross); 15. That none who believes in him may perish, but have eternal happiness.
16. For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that none who believe in him might perish, but have everlasting bliss. 17. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world thro' him might be saved.
18. He that believes on him is not condemned; but he that believes not is condemned already, because he believell not in the name of the only begotten Son of God, (the only Mediator.) 19. And this is the cause of the) condemnation, that light (even the knowledge of salvation) is come into the world, and men loved darkness (error and wickedness) rather than light, because their works are evil. 20. For whoever doth evil hates the light (of knowledge and holiness,) nei. ther comes to the light, lest his works be discovered. 21. But he that doeth righteously comes to
the light, that his deeds may be manifested to be wrought (by faith) in God.
22. q After these things came Jesus with his disciples into the land of Judea: and there he tarried with them, and baptized.
23. John also was baptizing in Ænon, near Salim, because much water was there; so they came, and were baptized: 24. For John was not yet cast into prison.
25. Then a question arose between some of John's disciples and the Jews about purifying. 26. And some came to John, and said, Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond Jordan, of whom thou tes. tifiedst, he baptizeth, and all men come to him.
27. John replied, A man can have nothing except it be given him from heaven. 28. Ye yourselves bear me witness that I said, I am not the Christ, but I am sent before him. 29. He that hạth the bride is the bridegroom; but the friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, re. joiceth greatly because of his voice. This my joy, therefore, is fulfilled. 30. He must encrease, but I must decrease. 31. He that comes from above is above all; he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaks of the earth; he that comes from heaven is above all. 32. And testifieth what he hath seen and heard, but none receives his testimony. 33. He that receives his testimony, sets to his seal (to confirm) that God is true. 34. For he whom God sent speaks God's words, for God gives not the Spirit by measure to him. 35. The Father loves the Son, and hath given all things into his power. 36. He that believes on the Son hath everlasting life: but he that believes not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
CHAP. IV. CHRIST TEACHETH THE SAMARITAN. Wuen, therefore, the Lord knew that the Phari
sees heard that he made and baptized more disciples than John, 2. Tho' Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples, 3. He left Judea, and went again into Galilee. 4. And he must go thro' Samaria.
5. Then cometh he to a city of Samaria called Sychar, near the portion of land Jacob gave to his. son Joseph. 6. Now Jacob's well was there. So Jesus, being wearied with his journey, sat down on the well; and it was about the sixth hour.
7. Then a woman of Samaria cometh to draw water. Jesus saith to her, Give me to drink. 8. For his disciples were gone to the city to buy meat.
9. Then the woman saith to him, Why dost thou, being a Jew, ask drink of me, who am a Samaritan, for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritáns. 10. Jesus replied to her, if thou knewest the bounty of God, and who saith to thee, Give me drink; thou wouldst have asked him, and he would have given thee living water (the Spirit's influence to refresh the soul, John vii. 38, 39.)
11. The woman saith to him, Sir, Thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: whence then hast thou that living water? 12. Art thou greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well, and himself drank thereof, and his children and his cattle? 13. Jesus replied to her, Who. ever drinks of this water shall thirst again; 14. But whoever drinks of the water I give him shall never thirst (or want comfort); but that water shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
15. The woman saith to him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw. 16. Jesus saith to her, Go, call thy hus. band, and come hither. 17. The woman replied, I have no husband. Jesus said to her, Thou hast rightly answered, I have no husband; 18. For VOL. III.
Spell, and himse 13. Jesus hep thirst again; shaji
thou hast had five husbands; but he whom thou now hast is not thy husband, thou hast spoken this truly.
19. The woman saith to him, Sir, I perceive
(at the temple) on this mountain (Gerizim), and ye say in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship. 21. Jesus saith to her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither on this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. 22. Ye worship ye know not how. We know what we worship; for the word of) salvation is of the Jews. 23. But the hour cometh and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth; for he seek. eth such worshippers of him. 24. God is a spirit; and they that worship him, must worship him in spirit and in truth.
25. The woman saith to him, I know that Mes. sias who is called Christ, cometh, who will tell us all things. 26. Jesus saith to her, I who speak to thee am he.
27. Now his disciples came, and wondered that he talked with the woman; yet none said, What seekest thou? or, Why talkest thou with her?
28. The woman then left her water pitcher, and went into the city, and saith to the men, 29. Come, see a man who told me all things that ever I did; is not this the Christ? 30. Then they went out of the city to hiin.
31. T In the meantime his disciples intreated him, saying, Master, eat. 32. But he said to them, I have meat to eat that ye know not of. 33. Then the disciples said one to another, Hath any man brought him ought to eat? 34. Jesus saith to them, My meat is to do his will who sent me, and to finish his work. 35. Say not, after four months, cometh harvest; look up, and behold the fields are white