Abbildungen der Seite

in Windsor, where Mrs. Beebe spent her youthful days and a portion of her eaily married life, was one of the noted landmarks on the Susquehanna and ie»known by the same title yet by all the people in that and adjoining towns.

The subject of this sketch was born in Wilkes-Barre in April, 1793, and lived there until she was sixteen years of age, and went from there to Windsor with the rest of the family. The moving took from Monday morning until Saturday night, and the route was from Wilkes-Barre to Pittston, then up the Lackawanna to Scranton, and from there by way of Dundaff and Clifford and through Harford to New Milford, spending Friday night at Summersville in the old log tavern, a place well-known to all the early settlers of this and adjoining counties.

The family arrived at their journey's end in Windsor on Saturday, the distance being about sixty miles. The conveyance used in moving consisted of two two-horse team-, and two saddle horses, on which the girls, five in number, alternately rode and walked. Mrs. Beebe was united in marriage to her late husband, Harry Beebe, when twentyfour years of age. They spent a married life together of about fifty-eight years, raising a family of six children, four sons and two daughters. Her husband left her a widow in June, 1875.

The funeral was attended by a large congregation of those who had known her for more than half a century. Her remains were lowered to their last resting place in the little cemetery at Franklin Forks, by two sons and four grandsons acting as pall bearers.


An inoident, none the less sad from the fact that it had been expected, was the death Tuesday, Nov. 16, of John Wroth, cashier of the Wyoming National Bank. Mr. Wroth was 48 years old, universally known, loved and respected, not only in Wilkes-Barre, but in a large circle of acquaintance at his former home. He had been ill with a complicated disease for more than two years. His malady had been of a character to elude diagnosis by eminent physicians and it was only recently that Ms suffering was found to be due to the presence of a tumor in the throat.

Mr. Wroth was born in Cecil County, Md., Sept. 22, 1838. and had therefore just entered on the 49th year of his life. His outh and early manhood were passed on is father's farm, where he was born* From the Cecil County farm Mr. Wroth went to Philadelphia, where he was employed for several years as a head accountant by the Empire Transportation Co. From thU position he went into the coal shipping business. In 1874 Mr. Wroth oame to Nanti

coke and accepted the position of cashier offered to him by the late Washington Lee, who had established there a savings bank. A year later Mr. Wroth married Elizabeth Norton, daughter of Win. B. Norton, Esq., a man prominent for many years in W'lkesBarre. In 1876, owing to the death of Mr. Lee, the Nantiooke bank retired from business and Mr. Wroth came to Wilkes-Barre, in charge of his interests, and in 1884 he undertook the position of cashier of the Wyoming National Bank, holding it until death severed his connection with affairs of this world. Mr. Wroth leaves a wife and son, Bentley, a boy nine years of age. Mrs. Wroth holds an insurance polioy of $11,000 on her husband's life.

In addition to the loss which Mr. Wroth's many friends sustain by the death of one whose character was in a high degree lovable and worthy of emulation, the public suffers a genuine calamity. Mr. Wroth's business judgment, his skill and ingenuity and painstaking methods in accounts, have long been known and reprected in this city. He was a man who was becoming closely identified with the interests of the town and whose character and abilities would have been of large advantage in our industrial growth. Mr. Wroth was a vestryman of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church and the funeral service was held at that church Thursday forenoon at 11 o'clock.


Isaao Ripple, who died in White Haven on Oct. 31, was one of the most widely known and highly respected citizens of Luzerne and Carbon CountieB. He' was born in Hanover Township 80 years ago next February, and was a twin brother of Abram Ripple, who died in 1875, after amassing a large fortune. The brothers went from Wyoming Valley to the Lehigh region about 1835, where they had extensive contracts with the Lehigh Coal & Navigation Co., constructing the dams in the Lehigh, afterwards swept away by a great freshet. He first located at Manch Chunk, where he married a Miss Conner, who survives him. About 1836 he went to White Haven, then a wilderness, bought a lot of the Navigation Co., cut down the trees and built a house, now the site of the White Haven Hotel at the railroad station, afterwards built by him. He was landlord ot this hostelry for nearly 30 years, and it was a favorite stopping place for stage coaches between WilkesBarre and Philadelphia in the olden time. About 1868 he moved on a farm of 100 acres, lying just outside of White Haven, which he bad oleared and which was one of the finest in Foster Township. He afterwards moved on an ndjicent smaller farm where he died. He leaves an estate valued at about 925,000. He was a Free

[ocr errors]

Mason and held nearly all the local positions of trust in communities in which he lived. He Whs regarded as an eminently upright and useful citizen. Besides his wife he is survived by a daughter, Elizabeth, widow of Theo. Smith, of White Haven; daughter Abi, wife of C. J. Shoemaker, of White Haven: daughter Alice, wife of Joseph Handlong, of Foster; daughters Anna and Clara, unmarried; Washington and George unmarried sons. Mayor Ezra H. Ripple, of Scranton, is a nephew. Among those present at the funeral were John Brown, of Eastern Jesse Lines, of Easton, now 80 years old, a boy with him in Hanover; Manns McQinty, of Wilkes-Barre and others. The sermon was by Rev. G. H. Day, a minister with whom he had become acquainted in White Haven, in 1842, and who after the mutations of 46 years in the Methodist itineracy, is again stationed in White Haven. He was buried after the Masonic ritual by Laurel Lodge.


At 1 pm. Nov. 22, Robert McDowell Shoemaker died at his residence in Forty Fort, aged 74 years. He had been ill for the past six months with a rheumatic affection, which, coupled with a general failing of the vital forces, culminated in his death.

Deceased was a son of Col. Elijah Shoemaker, a prominent man in Wyoming in his day and generation. His great-grandfather, Benj. Shoemaker, emigrated from the banks of the Delaware (now Monroe County) to Wyoming in 1763, but as the attempted settlement was crushed by the Indians in that year he returned from whence he came and never came back. The grandfather of deceased, also Elijah, was among the Connecticut settlers who located at Wyoming in 1776. Two years later he lost his life in the massacre of Wyoming. He was survived by an infant son. also named Elijah, father of deceased. This infant was born May 20,1778, his mother being Jane McDowell, daughter of John, of what is now Monroe County. The paternal name was bestowed upon deceased. We quote from Kulp's "Families of Wyoming Valley:"

"Elijah, dnring the pendency of the disputes as to the title to the land of the valley, cleared a portion of that which he had purchased with money left him by his father of the Susquehanna Company, built an unpretentious habitation, and engaged in farming in a small way. It was while his affairs were in this condition that the grandfather [of deceased] was born and the massacre of Wyoming occurred; wherein he acted as lieutenant in the little band of patriots, and was slain. The widow and her babe were left in very poor circumstances, for practically everything in their little home had

been carried off or destroyed by the British and savages."

On his mother's side deceased's grandfather was Col. Nathan Denison, whose marriage in 1769, with Elizabeth Sill, is historic, having been the first nuptial knot tied in Wyoming Valley. From this marriage came Lazarus Denison, father of the late Charles Denison, Esq., and the name is handed down to Hon. L. D. Shoemaker, a brother of deceased. Mr. Shoemaker's death occurred upon the same fruitful acres that have been in the family for more than a century and which were paid for, not only with hard earned treasure, but with the life blood of a distinguished ancestor.

Deceased was born Feb. 12, 1812, and passed the whole of his life in the vicinity of Forty Fort. He was educated in the old Wilkes-Barre Academy and in His early manhood entered the mercantile business at Forty Fort, and retained his interest therein until some 12 or 15 years ago, when he retired from all active business and devoted himself to his farming interests. His disposition was quiet and retiring. Though a staunch Republican, he took no active participancy in politics and never held or sought any public office or trust. He was widely known and universally esteemed throughout the valley as a man of generous and refined nature, of the strictest integrity and in His earlier years of great industry.

He was the fourth son of Col. Elijah Shoemaker, who had six sons and three daughters. Of this family but two are now living, Hon. L. D. Shoemaker, of this city, and Caroline, wife of Dr. Levi Ives, of New Haven, Conn. Dr. Ives was in attendance in consultation with local physician - a short time before Mr. Shoemaker's decease.

He leaves one son, Robert, now superintendent for several collieries of the Lehigh Valley Coal Co., who resides on North River Street, in this city, and is esteemed as one of the most efficient and energetic men connected with the company. The funeral took place on Friday at 2 pm. from the late residence, the interment being made in Forty Fort cemetery.


The many friends of Rev. E. Hazard Snowden, the oldest Presbyterian clergyman in Wyoming Valley, will be sorry to hear that he has recently sustained the loss of a much loved brother, Col. Robert Ralston Snowden. His death occurred Nov. 14, in Memphis, Tenn., in which city he had carried on the mercantile business for the last 12 or 15 years. Col. Snowden was in the 77th y ear of his age, and was a prominent and honored citizen of the once fever-stricken city along the Mississippi, though ho never flinched when the yellow fever was decimatingthe city's populace. His death occurred at the residence of his nephew, Col. Robert Bogardns Snowden. The latter was a gallant officer in the Confederate army, and was a grandson of Gen. Robert Bogardus, of New York.

Deceased waB born at New Hartford, N. Y., and was the eighth child of Rev. Samuel Finley Snowden, out of whose family of 10 children, three are living—Rev. E. Hazard Snowden, of Luzerne County; Arthur Henry Snowden, a merchant in Stratford, Conn., and James Anderson Snowden, a planter in Arkansas. His wife died some years ago and he is survived by only one child, a mar ried daughter.

The grandfather of deceased, Isaac Snowden, was a prominent Philadelphian during the Revolutionary war and at one time was treasurer of the city and county of Philadelphia. He was so pronounced a Whig that his presence was particularly obnoxious to the British during their occupancy of Philadelphia and he and his family were compelled to seek safety in the country. He was a large owner of real estate in the city of Philadelphia.

Isaac Snowden had five sons, all of whom were graduated from Princeton College, and four of whom were ministers—Rev. Samuel Finley Snowden, who took the class honors and who became the first pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Princeton: (he was the father of deceased and of Rev. E. Hazard SnowdeD); Gilbert, who preached at Cranberry, N. J., and who was a fine extempore speaker; Charles and Nathaniel, the latter located at Pittsburg and Harrisburg.

Of Rev. Samuel Finley Suowden's family, Mary Cox married Dr. Koswell P. Hayes, and was the mother of Hon. Samuel Snowden Hayes, an eminentChicago lawyer, politician and friend of Stephen A. Douglas, though he once worsted the latter in a public debate in Chicago during the agitation of the Missouri Compromise, the populace by an overwhelming vote sustaining Mr. Hayes' opposition to the revocation of the Compromise. The other children of Rev. S. F. Snowden were Samuel Breese. E. H., (living), Arthur Henry, (living), Susan Breese, James Anderson, John Bayard, Robert Ralstou, (just deceased), Sydney Breeso and Elizabeth Breese.

Survey fur Kingston.

[ From MSy. collection of Hon. Steuben Jenkins.] A road laid out by Silas Biugham, William Buck, Johu Perkins, Timothy Smith, Reuben Davis and John Jenk us, who were appointed a committee for that purpose on the 35th of Mny, 1770. After looking and viewing for some time *e begun on Shawnee line about 20 rods east of Toby's Creek, at a saxaf rax stake on the east side of a road,

which we laid six rods wide. Thence we ran north 45 degrees east, about 2% miles to a small white oak staddle on the north side of the town plot, thence N. 35 minutes E. 240 rods to a saxafrnx stake on the north side of Abraham's Creek; thence N. 70 degrees E. 172 rods to a walnut stake; th -noe N. 46 degrees E. 53 ruds to a black oak stake; thence N. 50 degrees E. about 1 mile to the town line, of Kingston and Exeter.

Soma Newspaper Clippings. [From Republican Fanner, W-B., Oct. 20,1830.]


This line has commenced running regularly between VVilkes-Barre, Northumberland, VVilliamsport, Harrisburg and Philadelphia and intermediate places. The boats leave Wilkes-Barre daily at 2 o'clock pm. and arrive at Northumberland every morning at 7% o'clock and at Harrisburg the following evening at 9 o'clock, where passengers will remain overnight and take the r-ilroad cars next morning for Philadelphia, ifcc— through in 48 hours from Wilkes-Barre. Fare to Northumberland $2.00

""Harrisburg 4.00

""Philadelphia 8.00

For freight or passage apply to

P. McC. Gilchrist, Phoenix Hotel,

Wilkes-Barre, May 7, 1830.

[In our days of "apprenticeship," cheap fuel and rapid transit such things seem very antiquated. Will the next half century bring communism, a new caloric and aerial yachts ?]


In the Wilkes-Barre papers of that day such advertisements as the following appear, accompanied by a picture of a little fellow galloping off with a bundle tied to a stick and thrown over the shoulder:

"SIX CENTS REWARD.-Ran away from the subscriber on the 12th inst., James Pringle, an indtnted apprentice to the farming business, he was about 14 years of age, of light complexion, he had on when he went away butternut colored pantaloons, and frock coat, all persons are forbid harboring or trusting him on any account as no charges will be paid. Isaac Smith.

Exeter Township, April Oth. 1836."


( From Republican Farmer, Dec. 2, 1835.] A Caiid.—I am now ready to deliver coal to the oitizens of Wilkes-Barre at the following prices, viz.: At the shute.

Lump coal, per ton of 2,240 lbs SI 25

B oken coal and raked 1 12

Fine coal without screening 75

Lime burner's coal per bushel l}*, cents, and 25 cents per ton additional for hauling.

Alexandek Gbay, Agent for Thomas Symington, Wilkes-Barre, Oct. 27, 1835.

WilKes-Barre Schools Fifty Years Ago.

[Contributed by G. H. B. Plomh.J The following references to early educational facilities in Luzerne Connty will be interesting, not only to the oldest generation now living, but to their children, in whose minds the experiences of their parents in those early days wear the glamor of mystical heroism. The elder Dr. Miner's letter shows the spirit of most of those of his generation, bat with all their attempts they failed to repair the old academy to any extent. Very likely it was owinir to the exceedingly hard times following the financial policy of the Government, and also that emigration to the Western StateB was in everybody's mind.

The fact that there was a female seminary here so long ago is not generally known among the younger people. '"Wyoming Seminary," another institution for females contemporaneous with the former, was conducted by the Misses Perry, also, iu WilkesBarre, having courses of study and expenses not quite so high.

Is it not a little singular that the enterprise which reared and sustained three such institutions under such circumstances should have languished and been succeeded by an apparently ineradicable stigmaof "old fogyism?" If it has resulted from the systems of instruction and discipline that they prao ticed, our posterity will have abundance of opportunity in the future to rid themselves of such shackles through the influence of "object lessons," "kindergartens" and "industrial schools."


[Excerpts from i letter byDr.Tliomas W. Miner in Rrrmhlimn Farmer, April 20, 1H36, John Atherholt, Printer and Publisher. 1

"As the old academy is no longer fit for use but sinking into ruinous dilapidation, the question forces itself upon us—shall we let it go? . . . We might point with pride to numbers of men in active life at home and aboad, who adorn the professions in which they are engaged—at the sacred altar—in the army—at the bar and in other employments who owe to the academy here the beet part of the education which has rendered them useful, successful and distinguished. ... It is firmly believed that no institution of the kind in the State, during a number of years past, has performed the purposes of its establishment more effectively. . . . Not the citizens of the borough or vicinity alone, then, are concerned in having a first-rate academy at Wilkea-Barre, but also the whole county.

Shall it be said that the institution whioh our fathers reared when the county was yet new and money scarce, and with which Bo many honorable names are associated, as Scott, Mallory,

Greenough, Dyer, Denison, Beaumont, Joseph, and Joel Jones, and I may be pardoned if I add C. Miner, shall be neglected and decay without an effort on our part to hold fast the benefits that have resulted to us? . . . ADd now with double the wealth and treble the population is there not pnblic spirit enough in the county to preserve it? Is there no reason to suppose that, when the public improvements now in a state of advancement shall be completed and the valley rendered easily accessible that this will become a place of resort by the intelligent traveler from Europe as well as those of own country? ... A flourishing academy, the tuition being moderate, would bring from 40 to 50 boarders to the town; the shoemaker would of course be called on for shoes, and the tailor and merchant in their callings: boarding houses would be employed, and the farmer have new demand for his produce."

The Wilkes-Barre Female Seminary was opened during the latter years of the existence of the academy. It was on "River" Street, only shortly before chanced to that name from "Bank" Street. The appended advertisement is in the Republican barmer for April 34, 1830:


This institution will be open on the first Wednesday in May for the reception of pupils. The course of study will embrace three years, including the primary class, each year consisting of two terms of 22 weeks each. . . .

The course will embrace the following studies:


1st Term—Orthography, reading, writing, grammar, geography, arithmetic, history, composition, etc., etc.

3d Term—Studies of the preceding term reviewed and continued; outline of history, natural philosophy.


1st Term—Grammar, arithmetic, history geography, rhetoric with a reference to composition, physiology.

3d Term—Grammar, chemistry, intellectual philosophy, geography of the heavens, algebra, logic and composition.


lBt Term—Algebra continued, logic, Euclid, Aberombie on Moral Feelings, astronomy, history, composition.

3d Term—Euclid, moral science, Evidence of Christianity, Butler's Analogy, chemistry, geology. . . .


For board, lights, fuel, etc., with tuition in English branches, 875 per term.

For tuition of daj pupils in English branches, SO per quarter.

Washing per dozen 50

For tuition in French, $5.00

"""Drawing and Painting. 4.00

•' "Music 3.00

Use of Piano 2.00

Provision will be made for instruction in Latin and Greek without any additional charge to the pupil.

The department of Education will be under the direction of Miss F. M. Woodworth. The Seminary in delightfully situated on the bank of the Susquehanna.

State Historical Society Reception. Some of our local antiquarians received invitations to the fall reception of the Pennsylvania Historical Society, in Philadelphia on Thursday Nov. 11. The affair was in charge of a committee of two, consisting of Messrs. F. D. 8tone and F. H. Williams. All ot the rare historical treasures of the society were thrown open for the inspection of the guests. The reception continued from eight o'clock until twelve. A luncheon was served at half-past nine. Among the prominent persons present were: Hon. Thomas H. Dudley, Assistant Bishop Whitaker, Dr. William R. Dunton, Edward Ship pen, John Jordan, Jr, Charles Spencer, Engineer George W. Melville (the Arctic explorer), 8. Grant Smith, George M. Conarroe, Counsellor John I. Clark, H. S. Morris, Horatio Gates Jones, James B. Sword and others.


A Native of Wllkes-ltarrc Who Paused Through Two Wars, Was Attacked With Chagres Fever In Smith America, Narrowly Escaped A Hsasslnatlon In Missouri and Finally Met Death by Accident.

The Rochester Union and Advertiser has an interesting biographical sketch of our former townsman, W, R. Loop, whose death by accident has already been noted in the Record. His career was so eventful that we believe our readers will be glad to peruse such portions of it as we can make room for:

At St. Louis at the breaking out of the Mexican War, he enlisted as a private, continuing in the army until the end of the war. He was in the regiment under Col. Donophan when the famous march was made under Gen. Kearney from St. Louis to Santa Fe. This was in 1846. The regiment was disbanded at S nta Fe, the soldiers finding their way back to St. Louis on foot in squads of six to ten. Soon after his return to St. Louis he embarked in the mercantile business with a Mr. Brand (a Creole.) The business was continued until the great fire, abont 1849, when he Whs joined by his brother Edward. This was the year that

the cholera prevailed to such anala.ming extent, very many persons fleeing from the city. Not so with Loop. He remained perseveringiy, attending to his business, striving and succeeding in paying his debts, thoughthe insurance companies paid himonly 50 cents on the dollar, the severity of their losses compelling them in this course. These were blue times for Loop; he paid his debts, but only had enough money remaining to purchase him an outfit for a journey across the plains in 1850 to California, which was coming into notice about this time. He made the journey with five comoanions, on foot, having ox teams to carry their luggage. The panic of 1851 being precipitated soon after he returned from California, and in order to economize he shipped as a common sailor before the mast, down the Pacific coast to Nicaragua, thence through the Nicaragua river and lake to Greytown, where he had a violent attack of the Chagres fever caused by exposure in the rainy season, under a burning sun. From Greytown h» took the steamer Daniel Webster to New York, being only just alive when the steamer arrived. On recovering from this tedious and dangerous illness, lasting the entire winter, he found his way to Hannibal, Mo., where he was employed by Mr. I. R. Seluis, an old and highly respected merchant. Here he purchased a nice residence and had his mother and sister with him. He remained at Hannibal until the exciting secession times (preceding the Rebellion) staunchly maintaining his character of a Union man. loving his country and willing to make any sacrifice. It will be remembered that Union men, living on the borders between the Northern, or free States, and the Southern, or slaves States, were in most trying positions. No one probably suffered more for his loyalty than Mr. Loop.

The men treated him cruelly, and the women pointed their fingers at him in scorn and derision in the streets. Yet he was not to be swerved a hair's breadth from the line of duty, as he understood it. An acquaintance came near to him one day in his place of business, when suddenly, without warning of any kind, gave him a violent blow on the head with a brick, evidently intending to kill him. Ho concluded after this occurence that it was not safe for him to remain there, so he severed his connection with Mr. Selms, much to the sorrow and regret of the latter, himself a Union man, who was ruined by the hatred of the Secessionists, and compelled a short time after Mr. Loop's departure to go himself. On leaving Hannibal, Loop came east, visiting Wilkes-Barre. Pa., the home of his childhood. It was there that he enlisted among the "Emergency Men" at the call of the State government in the summer of 1863. After being mustered

« ZurückWeiter »