Abbildungen der Seite


Sketches of the Men who were Elected to Office on November 3.


Gen. James A. Beaver, who has so handsomely just been shown the confidence of Pennsylvania, is not yet quite 50 years old, having been born in 1837 at Millerstown, Perry Co. His father died soon after James' birth and the boy was his mother's pride, a devoted son, a good scholar at the village school and a great favorite on the playground. In 1854, then in his 17th year, Beaver entered Jefferson College, at Canonsburg, YVashington Co. In 1850 he was graduated, standing high in the class.

When but 19 years of age Beaver became a student at law in the office of Hon. H. N. McAllister, at Bellefonte, and entered the bar two years later. During his course of study Beaver had joined Captain Andrew G. Cnrtiu's company, "Bellefonte Fencibles," and took great delight in the organization and drill.

President Lincoln's call for 75,000 men, at the outbreak of the rebellion, received an immediate answer from the Fencibles, who elected officers, Beaver being chosen first lieutenant, and proceeded at once to Harrisburg. After the expiration of its three months' time, however, it was mustered out. Beaver then entered, heart and soul, into the effort to raise a regiment, the 45th Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was made its lieutenant colonel. In October, 1861, the regiment proceeded to South Carolina.

The stress of war necessitated Lincoln's further call for 600,000 volunteers. Pennsylvania responded nobly, and Governor Curtin appointed Col. Beaver to toe colonelcy of a regiment which went directly to meet Lee in Maryland. The new regiment first experienced the sight of battle at Antietam. In this bloody engagement Col. Beaver's younger brother, a gallant lieutenant, fell in leading a brave charge when at the very works of the enemy.

In the disastrous battle of Chancellorsville, where Hooker was temporarily incapacitated, and where Stonewall Jackson met his death. Beaver was severely wounded and taken home as soon as he could be moved.

While the brave colonel was recovering slowly Lee arrived on the soil of Pennsylvan >a and Beaver refused the advice of the surgeons and hurried again to the field. In several battles that followed Col. Beaver received distinguished mention and was given charge ol a brigade. He took a gallant part in many engagements, being wounded again at Petersburg and carried from the field. While at the hospital Gen. Beaver became too restless for the surgeons, and on the eve of a decisive battle, rode

upon the field in an ambulance. In the engagement which followed he was again wounded severely, losing his leg. This closed Beaver's active record on the field, a record bustling with gallantry and bullet stains.

On his return home Gen. Beaver resumed the practice of law. In 1882, as all remember, he became the Republican candidate for Governor, and was defeated by the broken ranks of the party. With almost the unanimous consent he again became the standard bearer last summer and after one of the most stirring and cleanest campaigns in the State's history is elected by a rousing plurality of 45,000 votes.


The face of Hon. Wm. T. Da vies, Lieutenant.Governor-elect of the Commonwealth, has become familiar to Wilkes Barreans during the compaign just closed. He has a characteristic American career; born in 1831, in Wales, he was brought to this State when two years of age, his father becoming a farmer in Warren, Bradford County. Living in the open air, used to hard work, Davie* eveloped into a large and muscular lad fit for any amount of solid labor. In the odd hours of his timt Davies read with avidity all the books that he could lay his hands on and his mind grew with his body. He entered the public school late and became a leader in his class.

Davies' good work at the local school gave snch promise that he was sent to Owego Academy in New York, then famous, and he was graduated valedictorian with all honors. After graduating Davies betook himself to the pedagogue's profession, and in 1856, 25 years of age, he was appointed superintendent of schools in Towanda and continued there for four years, meantime studying law under Judge Elwell. In 1861 he was entered at the bar, and late in the same year he married Miss Watkins. daughter of a prominent lawyer of Towanda.

Davies in 1862 gave up his budding practice of law and enlisted in Co. B. 14th Reg. P. V., and in Oct. 1862, became its captain. A month later, before Fredericksburg, Capt. Davies was taken with typhoid fever and was compelled to return to his home. Recovering too slowly for his impatient desire to be at the front. Davies hurried back, against the will of his physicians, and as a result he suffered as severe a relapse that his life at one time was despaired of. In May, 1883, he was honorably discharged from service.

la 1865 Davies was elected district attorney of Bradford Co. In 1876 he was elected to the Stale Senate, where he has been a prominent figure, respected for his manliness, integrity and sound judgment. No man is better fit to preside over the deliberations of the body in which Lieut.-Gov. Davies is be well known. He is a brother of Dr. R. Davies, of this city and an uncle of Dr. Davies of Nanticoke.


Col. A. Wilson Norris, Pennsylvania's new auditor general, is still a young man, having been born in Lewistown 44 years ago. Entering upon active service, at the outbreak of the war, a lieutenant, in the 107th P. V., he served gallantly until 1863, when he was captured at the battle of Gettysburg, being held 20 months in captivity. In July, 1866, he was honorably discharged from active service, having risen to a captaincy. Capt. Norris studied law at the University of Pennsylvania, and in 1867 he entered the bar of 'Philadelphia, where he took up his residence. In 1872 he became Gov. Hartranft's private secretary; in the same year he was the first recorder of the Board of Pardons; and in 1873 was appointed inspector general of the G. A. R., being elected, in the same year, as commander of the Department of Pennsylvania. During the six years following, Capt. Norris acted as secretary of the Republican State Committee, Capt. Norris served in other official positions, and 1881 was elected to the State Senate. On the staff of Gov. Hartranft Capt. No.ris was appointed Colonel and aide-de-camp, and served as judge advocate general on Gov. Hoyt's staff. President Arthur appointed Col. Norris pension agent at Philadelphia, and he was removed by President Cleveland.


Thomas J. Stewart was born in 1848 near Belfast, Ireland, and is the youngest man of the new officials of the State. When less than a year old he was brought to Norristown by his parents, and there he has lived ever since. In 1864, Stewart, though but 16 years old, entered the army, where he served until the war concluded. On the close of his army life Stewart entered upon commercial business, manufacturing window glass. Since 1882 Mr. Stewart has been Assistant Adjutant General of of the Pennsylvania Department of the G. A. R., and during 1884 and 1885 he acted in the same position over the national organization. For the last nine years he has been Adjutant of the 6th Regiment Infantry.

During the last two years, Mr. Stewart has been a member of the Assembly and is recognized as an able legislator.


General Osborne, who was re-elected Congressman-at-large, was born in Bethany, Pa., August 7th, 1836, and was educated at the University of Pennsylvania, and at the New York State and National Law School, graduating in 1860 with the degree of LL. B. Shortly afterwards, on the break

ing out of the Rebellion, he was one of the first to volunteer, enlisting as a private im the Eighth Pennsylvania Infantry, and despite his extreme youth and lack of previous military education he rapidly rose to a place of distinction. After serving with his regiment in General Patterson's command, he received a commission from Governor Curtin to recruit a company, and performing this duty joined the One Hundred and Forty-ninth as captain. The regiment formed part of the First Corps of the Army of the Potomac and participated in all the engagements of the corps till after the Gettysburg battle when it was consolidated into the Fifth Corps In the meantime Captain Osborne had become Major of his regiment and Assistant Inspector-General of the Third Division. During the war he was three times wounded and was successively brevet ed Lieutenant-Colonel, Colonel and Brigadier-General for gallant and meritorious conduct in the face of the enemy.

Upon the close of the war,General Osborne was appointed Judge Advocate under Genoral Holt, and sent to Macon and Andersonville to investigate the charges of cruelty to Federal prisoners of war by the Confederate Superintendent of Prisons, Captain Wirz. Upon a full investigation General Osborne preferred charges of murder against Wirz, who was tried by courtmartial at Washington, convicted and hanged. General Osborne was then sent to his own State to investigate charges of treason against various citizens confined in military prisons. He then resigned his commission, returned to his home in this city and engaged in the practice of his profession.

On the reorganization of the National Guards, the governor appointed Gen. Osborne the Major-General of them, and he held the position from 1871 to 1876. Gen. Osborne enjoys it lucrative law practice. He has had but little to do with politics, never having held a civil office until he was returned to Congress during the last general election. He is prominent in the Grand Army of the Republic, having been Department Commander in 1883. His popularity is attested in the State by the fact that he received 2,536 more votes than were polled for Blaine and Logan in the Presidential contest of 1884.


John Lynch, Esq., of the Luzerne Bar, is a native of Rhode Island, having been born at Providence in 1843. His father, a native of County Cavan, Ireland, emigrated to this country in 1830, residing in Wilkes-Barre from 1864 until his death in 1878, at the age of 75, John Lynch was educated at Wyoming Seminary, going to school in the winter and working as a farm hand in the summer. Mr. Lynch was admitted to the bar in 1865, after having studied with W. G. Harding, Esq. The following year he was elected register of wills, over Capt. H. M. Gordon (Rep.) Mr. Lynch served at councilman atlarge from 1871 to 1874, and as city attorney during 1873 and 1874. He was defeated in 1879 by Hon. C. E. Rice for the president judgeship of Luzerne County, Mr. Lynch being the candidate of the Greenback-labor party. Mr. Lynch was married in 1877 to Mary C, a Bister of John T. Lenahan, Esq., and District Attorney James L. Lenahan. Mr. Lynch has been a diligent and conscientious practitioner and therefore richly merits the success which he has achieved in his profession. The nomination for Congress came to him unsolicited, having previously been declined by Judge Woodward and J. H. Swoyer. With Gen. Osborne as Congressman-at-Large, and John Lynch as Congressman, Luzerne County, will not be likely to be neglected in the distribution of Federal favors.


J. Ridgway Wright, elected to represent cht- First district, (City of Wilkes-Barre), in the Legislature is 30 years of age and is well and favorably known in this community, of which he is a native. He is a son of the late Harrison Wright, one of the most able practitioners at the Luzerne Bar, and a nephew of the late Hon. Hendrick B. Wright, who, after a distinguished career in politics and law, died in 1871. Mr. Wright's parental ancestors came from Engla d in 1081 with William Penn's colony of Quaker immigrants, and founded the village of Wrightsville, Burlington County N. J. The first of the name, John Wright, held a commission of Justice of the Peace and captain of militia under the seal royal of King Charles II. Caleb Wright, a grandson of John, removed to the Susquehanna country in 1795 and settled near what is now Shickshinny, but returned to New Jersey in 1811, leaving here a son, Joseph, grandfather of the deceased. Joseph Wright was for many years a prominent and influential citizen of Plymouth, or, as that portion of the valley was formerly called, Shawnee. The Wrights were formerly Quakers, or Friends, and Joseph Wright always adhered to their faith and stern integrity, notwithstanding he had been dropped from the society for marrying outside the Quaker faith. He married Ellen, daughter of John Hendrick, and had three sons born of the union; the late Hon. Hendrick B. Wright being the oldest, with Caleb E. and Harrison as yonnger brothers, constituting a very distinguished trio of lawyers, Harrison being one of the most brilliant and eloquent abvocnti>s thot ever practiced at the Luzerne county bar. He was honored by his fellow citizens with a seat in

the House of Representatives at Harrisburg, where he served with distinguished honor. He died in 1856 while yet in the prime and vigor of his manhood, having just turned his forty-first year. Mrs. Wright, the mother, was before marriage, Emily, daughter of Jacob Cist, her mother being Sarah, daughter of Judge Matthias Hollenback, an ensign, and one of the survivors of the bloody massaore that took place in front of Fort Wintermute on July 3, 1778. There was thus the blood of the English Quaker commingling with that of his persevering German forefathers (the Hollenbacks having come of German stock) in the veins of one who at a very early period of life manifested his love of learning in a marked degree.

J. Ridgway Wright is a graduate of Princeton College, class of 1879. After graduating he took the Western fever, in common with many others of our townsmen, and went to Leadville in company with Sylvanns Ayres, Jr., and Samuel Newhouse, both of this city, he established himself in the coal brsiness, to which he associated that of prospecting. Mr. Wright remained in Leadville two years and then went to New Orleans, where he was engaged in selling mines. He subsequently returned to Leadville, remaining there a year, when he accepted the position of secretary of the Wheel of Fortune Mine and established himself in New York City, He afterwards resigned bis secretaryship and came back to his home in this city, where he has resided ever since. On the death of his lamented brother, Harrison, he was elected to fill his place as secretary of the Wyoming Historical Society. He has taken a foremost part in local dramatic and musical circles, in the military (he is adjutant of the Ninth Regiment, N. G. P.) and has identified himself with many other movements calculated to advance the public welfare. He is deservedly popular and has hosts of friends.

SHEBIFF, (dkm.)

Hendrick Wright Search is one of the rising—indeed, risen—men of the young Democracy. He was born in Shickshinny in 1854 and is a son of George W. Search, one of the most prominent citizens of the lower end.

He was educated at the public schools, and after graduating therefrom he entered the store of George W. A- Lot Search, where he was continuously employed until the year 1882, when he was appointed clerk to the county commissioners. He served three years in this position and in 1885 became deputy olerk of the Orphans' Court, which place be has since filled acceptably to the court and the public A year ago he married Miss Church, a charming younir lady living in Ashiand, 'his State, and who has since become a valueu access on to WilkesBarre's social circles. Nominated by acclamation, without opposition, and receiving the united support of his party, he is probably the most popular man who ever trained with the Luzerne Demooraoy.


Joseph J. McGinty, of Ebervale, was born in Durham, England, of Irish parentage, in the year 1850. He came to America 23 years ago and bus always lived about Ebervale. He has worked in the mines from boyhood up and his father was killed in them fifteen years ago, which catastrophe made Joseph the head and protector of the family. His loving care for his six younger brothers secured a fair education for them all, and for one a college training from which he has graduated to the Catholic priesthood.

Mr. McGinty has been identified with the several miners' associations that have from time to time existed in this region and has occupied practically every position of trust conferred by them. He was a delegate to the State Labor Convention in 1875 and to the labor convention at Cleveland last summer.

He has always been a consistent and hard working Democrat. He has held and acceptably filled local offices, but this is the first time he was ever a candidate for a county office.


Dr. John B. Mahon, one of Pittston's most reputable practitioners of the healing art, was born May 17, 1850, at Lake Winola, Wyoming County. The first fourteen years of his life were spent upon a farm. At the age of 14 he was apprenticed by voluntary indenture to the carpenter's trade. In this avocation he continued for four years, when at the nge of 18 he passed an examination as a teacher. He had prepared himself by night study. He taught three winter terms of school in W yoming County, the summers being spent in working at his trade. At 21 he applied and received the appointment of principal of one of the Plains graded schools, holding the position for several consecutive years, preparing hiuiBelf at the same time for Jefferson Medical College, which, resigning his teachership, he entered in 1879. graduating in 1882. He has since devoted himself exclusively to his medical duties in Pittston, where he has achieved an extensive practice. At the municipal election last spring he was reelected a member of the School Board by a large majority, although the district in which lie resides is strongly Republican. Dr. Mnlion is a prominent member of the Luzerne County Medical Society, and probably nearly every Republican vote of that organization was cast for him.


James Crockett is a farmer, surveyor and justice of the pence in Ross, and one of the best known men in the Second District. Everybody speaks of him as Squire Crockett and his court has been the scene of many exciting trials as most of tba Quarter Sessions courts in the country. He is thoroughly honest and upright and well liked.

In 1824 the first river boat propelled by horse-power, arrived in Wilkes-Barre from Nescopeck. It was a wonder.



The Bad news of the death of Rev. Dr. A. A. Hodge, of Princeton Theological Seminary, was received Nov. 12. Dr. Hodge preached a stirring sermon Sunday, Nov.7 to t he students at Princeton, feeling in the most vigorous health. The day was cold and wet, however, and Dr. Hodge caught a severe cold, which, settling on his kidneys, ended in his death on Thursday, Nov. 11. The three brothers of Dr. Hodge were present at his bedside, as the serious nature of his malady was known for several days previous to his death.

Dr. Archibald Alexander Hodge, A. M., D. D., LL. D., was born at Princeton, N. J., July 18, 1823, and was therefore midway between (33 and (34 years of age. He was graduated from the College of New Jersey in the class of 1841. After studying theology at the seminary he was ordained by the Presbytery of New Brunswick, N. J., in May, 1847, and in the fall of that year be married and went to Allahabad, India, as a missionary under the control of the Presbyterian Board of Foreign Missions. Dr. Hodge remained at this post for three years, the failure of his health demanding his return in 1850. In that year he became pastor of a church at lower West Nottingham, Md., remaining in that charge for the ensuing five years. At the outbreak of (he war Dr. Hodge was pastor of the First Presbyteri in Church at Petersburg, Va., his pastoral relations with the congregation of that church being severed on the very day that marks the death of Rev. Dr. John Dorranee, then pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of this city.

A few months after Dr. Dorrance's death Dr. Hodge accepted a call to the church over which his brother, Dr. F. B. Hodge, is now pastor. In 18(34, having been pastor in Wilkes-Barre for three years, Dr. Hodge was elected professor of Didactic and Polemic Theology in the Presbyterian Seminary at Allegheny City, where he remained until 1877. While holding this position Prof. Hodge was for some years "stated supply" and installed pastor, severally, of the First Church of Pittsburg, and of the North Church of Allegheny City.

In 1877 Prof. Hodge was called by Princeton Theological Seminary as Associate Professor of Theology, the fall professorship being held by his father, the late Rev. Dr. Charles Hedge. In 1878 Dr. Charles Hodge died, acd his mantle fell upon his hon, who has held the position of Didactic and Polemic Professor of Theologj since that time. Dr. Hodge has twice been married, and leaves a wife and two daughters. The funeral services will be held on Monday afternoon at Princeton.

The death of Dr. Hodge does not break the connection which has identified the name of Hodge with Princeton Seminary, Dr. Charles Hodge's eldest son, Casper Wister Hodge, being professor of New Testament Literature and Biblical Greek at that institution. This position he has held since 1860, and he is recognized among scholars as perhaps the superior of his brother in theological scholarship. The connection which is thus kept up with Princeton has subsisted since the matriculation of Dr. Charles Hodge in 1811.

Dr. F. B. Hodge has the tender sympathy of the many friends of his lamented brother in this city, the elder pastor being a great favorite, for his kindly, genial nature as well aB for his deep learning.


Leverius Dunning Sturdevant. one of the oldest and best known men of Wyoming County, died Friday, Nov. 12 at his home in Meboopany. He came of one of the old Connecticut families whose names are so well known along the Susquehanna. He was born in 1804 at Braintrim, Wyoming County, where he passed the greater portion of his life, and to the development and prosperity of which he materially contributed. He was a kind husband and father, and a valued member of the community in which he lived, and particularly noted for the virtues of hospitality and neighborly kindness. Belonging to a past generation, with few living contemporaries, he yet, by his native force of character, maintained a leading position to the last, and leaves behind him the example of a uniformly upright life. His wife preceded him to the grave July 21 of last year, in her 70th year, the husband being her senior by five years. He was a brother of the late Major John Sturdevant and Gen. £. W. Sturdevant, of this city, and his surviving children are Col. Snmurl H . Sinlon, E. W., L D.. nnd Dunning Sturdevant nnd Mrs. W. F. Goff, of Wilkes-Barre; Mrs. F. B. Ames, Mrs. Jerome Swartwood, of Mehooimny, and Mrs. James M. Robinson, of Skinner's Eddy. His

wife's death, as noted in the Record at the time, was the first to break a very large family circle. All her eight children are married and have families of their own, yet of all this large number of kindred, exposed to the countless perils which threaten existence, and covering nearly a century in time, this godly mother in Israel was the first to be called hence.

Bishop Bowman's Mother.

James Bowman, of the firm Wells, Bowman &, Co.. was recently called upon to mourn the loss of his mother, whose death occurred on the 1st inst., at the home of her son, Bishop Thomas Bowman, in Allentown. The following interesting sketch is from the Item of that city:

Mrs. Elizabeth Bowman, widow of the late Jacob Bowman, was the daughter of Thomas Weiss, of Weissport, and was born Dec. 5, 1808. She was the mother of ten children. Three—Charles, John and Louisa—died in infancy. Those living are Mrs. Cornelius Snyder and Mrs. Perry Wannemacher, residing in Allentown; Mrs. Judge Levi Wentz, residing in Millport, Carbon Co.; Bishop Thomas Bowman, of Allentown; Capt. James Bowman, of Wilkes-Karre; W. W. Bowman, cashier of the First National Bank, at Lehighton. She bad her home with Judge Wentz at the old homestead in Millport, but came to this city on a visit to her children the latter part of July. She was taken sick at the house of Bishop Thomas Bowman, and died after much suffering Nov. 1. Deceased had for many years been a devoted and consistent member of the Evangelical Associ ation, and was beloved and highly respected by all who knew her. She died very peacefully and in the assurance of faith.


LMontroHo Republican.]

Orrilla Waller Beebe died at the residence of her son, E. L. Beebe at Franklin Forks, Susquehanna Co., Nov. 1, 1880, aged U3 years and 0 months. She was the last survivor of a large family of children. Her father, Nathan Waller, was one of the early Bettlers in Wyoming Valley, bringing his lamily there shortly after the war of the revolution, although he himself had been there before, but was temporarily away at time. He had three brothers-in-law killed in the Wyoming Massacre in 1778. Mrs. Beebe was the youngest but one of ten children. Her father left the valley with his family in 1809 and moved to the town of Windsor, Broome Co., N. Y., where he died several years after, leaving a fine farm on the Sn=qnehnnna river which fell into the hands of Ins oldest son, Phiueas Waller, father of Dr. D. J. Waller, of Bloomsburg, and of the late Judge Waller and his brother, George, of Honesdale. The old Walier farm

« ZurückWeiter »