Abbildungen der Seite


His Severe Affliction—Extensive Acquaintance 'With Leading Divines—Interesting Personal Reminiscences. The friends of Rev. Irvin H. Torrence in the West Branch Valley—and he has many of them—will regret to learn that he is almost totally blind, and therefore deprived from moving about without assistance. Colonel J. Sallade, of Williamsport, who recently visited him at hie home at Riverside, opposite Danville, sayB:

"Among the many regrets we have for the great affliction that now deprives onr old and dear friend of his sight, is that we fear he will be nnable to carry out his intention of writing a book of facts and incidents of a 44 yearn' ministerial life, 34 of which were devoted to the Bible Society of all denominations. Perhaps no man in the State has come in contact with more of the older families, or preached in as many pulpits of different denominations than Mr. Torrence. His associations with olergymen, snch as Bishops Potter, Bowman and Stevens of the Protestant Episcopal: Myer and Demnie of the Lutheran; Barnes, Boardman and Brainerd of the Presbyterian; Smith and Pull of the Baptist, and Durbin, Simpson and Bowman of the M. E. church, and John Chambers, Independent, were olose and intimate for years, because of their relations to the Bible Society. Aside from these he was intimately acquainted with hundreds of others.

"Mr. Torrence, I venture to say, occupied more pulpits of more denominations than any other divine in the State of Pennsylvania, and he has also preached at sea in a steamship while returning from Europe, and he has talked and song with more Sunday school ohildren, not excepting John Wanainaker, than any other man. He haB also talked and sung to ohildent from the steps of the King's palace in Germany and talked to hundreds of students in Basle, Switzerland.

"He was personally acquainted with all the governors of the State from Porter to Beaver. The former was elected in 1838 and the latter in 1880.

"During the war he was appointed a commissioner to prooeed to the Southern Confederacy to relieve the prisoners in Libby and on Belle Isle. He projected a plan to relieve the prisoners at the time of the exchange dead-look. The hearts of the great North was moved in sy mpathy for the sufferers, and large amounts of money and provisions could have been raised if he could have reached the prisoners.

"At this point Mr. Torrence devised a plan to reach them, which was endorsed by Governor Curtin, Secretary Stanton, General

Halleok and President Lincoln. The names of these gentlemen are now in the hands of Mr. Torrence respectively endorsing hie plans, which are among the unpublished records of the war.

"There was placed at his disposal by the war department the flag ship New York, Captain Mumford commanding, which conveyed him to City Point. On his arrival there he opened a correspondence with the Confederacy, having had a personal acquaintance with Jeff Davis. In response Mr. Davis sent the Roanoke flag ship and a conference was held with Mr. Torrence, and his plans were carried back for the relief of the prisoners. While negotiations were pending Gen. Butler was put in command at Fortress Monroe, and he abruptly stopped all communications, except to allow the sending of vaccine matter, as the small pox was then prevailing to an alarming extent in the Confederate prisons where Union men were held.

"Thus one of the most humane enterprises of the war was defeated and the flag ship with Mr. Torrence returned from the mission of mercy."

Mr. Torrence first commenced preaching in the West Branoh Valley, and here his earliest friendships were formed. Although unable to travel and meet his friends as of yore, they will be glad to learn that he is surrounded with comfort, that he is resigned and happy in the consciousness of having done a good work and served his Master faithfully. — Williamsport Oazette and Bulletin.

I>eath of Mrs. Hugh McGroarty.

On May 16 Mrs. Hugh McGroarty, a highly esteemed lady of Miner's Mills, died after less than a week's illness.

Mrs. McGroarty was born in Glantes, County Donegal, Ireland, in 1817. In 1832 she was married to Mr. McGroarty in the same parish, and in 1838 Mr. and Mrs. McGroarty came to America and settled at Summit Hill, Carbon County. Subsequently they removed to Buck Mountain and thence to Sugar Notch, and in 1806 Mr. McGroarty established the Miner's Mills Hotel, of which he continued to be proprietor until 1881.

Mrs. McGroarty was a highly intelligent woman, having a large acquaintance with English literature, in which she turned her attention chiefly to poetry. For 30 years she had. been a subscriber to the Boston Pilot. Deceased leaves five children, Mrs. Michael Farrell, of Sugar Notch; Mrs. John Murrin, of Carbondale; Mrs. Michael MoHale, Miner's Mills; Hugh McGroarty, Jr., and John S. McGroarty. Another son, Barney, died some years ago. Mrs. McGroarty was buried at Buok Mountain.

I>t-ath of Xllwi Robins.

After making a brave battle for life against a moat painfnl and relentless disease. Elias Robins died May 17 at Hot Springs, Ark., whither be had gone in the vain hope of finding relief. Mr. Robins was a sufferer from sciatic rheumatism of a most acute and excruciating form and had been unable to attend to business for a year or two. Two months ago he went to Hot Springs with his wife and daughter, and they were with him at the last. He appeared to improve at first, but blood poisoning set in to aggravate his condition, and for some weeks he could not be moved unless put under the influence of morphine.

Mr. Robins was born in Hanover Township, July 1, 1828, and spent his boyhood days on his father's farm. When about 16 years old he came to Wilkes-Barre as a oierk for Ziba Bennett, with whom and whose family he was ever afterwards identified. Mr. Bennett reposed great confidence in his young clerk and seven years later took him into partnership, the firm also including Charles Parrish and being styled Bennett, Parrish & Co. In 1854 the firm was dissolved and Mr. Robins went to Valparaiso, Ind., to engage in business, but a few years experience made him long for the old home and he accordingly returned to WilkesBarre, going in again with Mr. Bennett. In 1860 a new firm was formed—Z. Bennett <fc Co.—consisting of Mr. Bennett, Mr. Robins and Philip Abbott. The firm carried on business for 19 years, but a dissolution was rendered necessary in 1879 by the death of the senior partner. Mr. Bennett. The only ohange was the taking of Mr. Bennett's interest by the widow. Prisoilla bee Bennett, the firm name becoming Bennett <fc Co. About 1882, Mr. Abbott removed to St. Paul, where he now resides, and Mrs. Bennett disposed of her interest to her grandson, Frank Phelps, who with Mr. Robins continued the business as the Bennett Hardware Company up to the present time.

Mr. Robins was a man of sterling integrity, strictly devoted to business and a man who was n cognized in the community as a kind hnsbaud, an affectionate father and a most excellent citizen. He mingled little with the general activities of the town, though he was at one time a member of the school board and was during all his late years a trustee and treasurer of the Home for Friendless Children, discharging the duties in a painstaking and faithful manner. He was a member of the official board of the First M. E. Church, as also a member of the church and taking an active interest in the Sunday school.

Mr. Robins was twice married, his first wife being Mary A. Mills, of Hanover Town

ship, who bore him five children, of whom only two are living, Norman, residing in Indiana, and Mary E., living at home. The late Mrs. Jesse T. Morgan was a daughter. His second wife, who survives him, was Miss Sarah J. Overton.

Deceased was the son of John Robins, who was born in New Jersey and settled in Hanover shortly after 1800. Elias was the youngest of a family of eight children, of whom Elizabeth married Lewis Whitlock, Mary died unmarried in 1880, CorneliuB married Hannah Wiggins, Abner married Catherine Fastnach, Margaret married Nathan O. Howe, John G. died unmarried, and James H. married Harriet Monega. besides this branoh of the Robins family, Hanover Township has been peopled by another branch, also from New Jersey, the two probably having more representatives than any other name in the township.

Death of Kdward Enterline.

Edward Enterline, the well known dealer in hides, tallow, etc., died Tuesday afternoon, May 3, at his home on South Main Street, aged 66 years. Mr. Enterline was formerly a wealthy and prominent citizen of Tamaqna, whence he came to Wilkes-Bsrre in 1875. He was born in Oratz, Danphin County, Ang. 8, 1821, where he learned the tanner's trade. Moving early in life to Tamaqna, he there became proprietor of a large tannery in that place and achieved a large fortune, all of which was lost in the panio of 1878.

Shortly afterward Mr. Enterline removed to Wilkes-Barre and engaged in the hide and tallow business in which he has been successful. Deceased had been suffering from heart disease which became complicated with lung trouble recently, causing him to take to his bed a few days ago. Mrs. Enterline, whom he married in 1841, is lying ill at her home suffering from the result of a surgical operation. Mr. and Mrs. Enterline have had 10 children, five of whom are still living, three being daughters, one of whom is Mr*. 0. Ben Johnson, of this oity.

The funeral took place from the late residence, 250 South Main Street, Friday, at 7:30 am. Interment was made at Tamaqna.

The Doylestown Democrat for Maroh 15, contains a contribution signed F.. M., entitled: "New Britain Homesteads—LandH of the Delaneys, tho Hines Family." The progenitor of the Hines family came to America from Ireland about 1720 and the family have ever sinoe been prominent m Bucks County. One of them served his country as an officer during the Revolutionary struggle.

Capt. John Dennis Dead. At 2:50 pm. May 3, Capt. John Dennis, who has been prostrated with a paralytic stroke, died at hie residence in Parsons. He was born in Beerateton, Devonshire, England, in 1810 and came to this country in 1848 and settled in Scranton. He remained there nntil 1851 and then removed to Pittston, where he resided only about 10 months, when he removed to Fhoenixville, Chester County. He lived there for three years and then took up his home in Plymouth, whero he lived until 185(1 Here he entered the business of contracting for the sinking of shaft*, etc., in and around the mines. He sank the Fatton shaft in Poke Hollow, the first shaft put down on the west side ot the river in this section. In 1856 he moved to the Empire and was the contractor for the sinking of that shaft under the snperintendenoy of Charles Parrish. He moved from the Empire to Buttonwood iu 1859 and started the sinking of the shaft there but before it was completed moved to Arlington, N. J., and from there to Orange County, N. Y., where he was superintendent of the Erie lead mines, where he remained long enough to furnish lead enough to conquer the rebellion, the works which he superintended sending out 300 tons of lead per month. He left Orange County in 1867 and moved to this vicinity where he remained until the hour of his death, though he never entered active busineBB again. In 1881 he was elected burgess of Plymouth and served two terms. About a year ago he moved to Parsons. He was twice married and is survived by his second wife and seven children by his first wife, whom he married in England and who died in Wilkes-Barre in 1878. His eldest son, John, died in Plymouth in 1854. The surviving children are Richard, now living in San Francisco; William A., of San Jose, Cal.; Elizabeth, wife of Dnniel Gunton, of Wilkes-Barre; Samuel J. and F. H., of Arlington, N. J., and J. R., now residing in New York. He had no children by his second wife, whose maiden name was Lydia Jones, of Plymouth, and to whom he was united some three years ago.

The funeral took place on Thursday, at 11 am. from the house at Parsons, with interment in Plymouth Cemetery.

In 1817 the average price of wheat in this region was $3.50 per bushel. In 1827, the price was $2. The following are tne average prices from that time to 1877, taken every ten years: 1837, S3.50: 1847, $3.15; 1857, $2.75; 1867, $3.25; 1877, $2. The present price is about 00 cents per bushel.— Bucks County Intellujencer.

Death of Bernard Frauenthal. Bernard Frauenthal, one of the most widely known of Wilkes-Barre merchants, died at his residence 20 Sonth Maiu Street, at 10:30 pm. April 23, aged 54 years, of a complication of diseases beginning a month ago with inflammation of the bowels. The immediate canse of his death was the rupture of n blood vessel early in the afternoon, the patient being unable to rally after it.

Mr. Frauenthal was born in Bavaria in 1838 and came to America in 1856, settling in Wilkes-Barre, which has since been his home. He was engaged as clerk for some time with his brother Samuel, whose place of business was in one of the old buildings on Public Square, just demolished by Edward Welles. From there he went for a short time to Pittstou, where he managed his brother's boot and shoe store. While in Pittston in 1861, he married Mrs. Bomberg, nee Lowenstein. who owned a dry goods store in Wilkes-Barre, andshortly thereafter returned to this city where he embarked in the dry goods business at 20 South Main Street, in which he remained till his death. Mr. Frauenthal leaves a wife and two daughters, Rebecca and Carrie. He is also survived by four brothers, Samuel of this city, Henry and Abraham, of St. Louis, and William L , of New York, and by one sister, Mrs. Solomon Abrahams.

Deceased was a member of 10 lodges, being a prominent mason of nearly 20 years' standing. He was a member of Masonic Council. I. O. O. F. and A. L. of H. The funeral will take place on Wednesday at 2:30. Interment will be in the Jewish cemetery.

Death of Him Elian C. Butter. Miss Ellen Cist Rutter, the condition of whose health had for a long time been a source of anxiety to her family and friends, died at her father's house on River Street May 21, at about 4 o'clock am. Miss Rutter had suffered from Bright's disease which the best medical skill could not expel from her system.

Miss Rutter was the oldest of N. Rutter's children, of whom all are now dead save Miss Natalie, J. N. and Hervey. She was widely known and esteemed in Wilkes-Barre, being a woman of sweet Christian character and affectionate disposition. Her death will be widely mourned.

The funeral took plaoe from the residence on North River Street Monday at 5 pm. with interment at Holleuback Cemetery, Rev. Dr. Hodge, of whose congregation deceased was a member, officiating.


End of au I1IB6M Contracted Several Months Ago.

Mrs. Elizabeth Lee Osterhout, widow of the late Isaac S. Oaterhont, died at her home, corner of Northampton and Franklin Street*, April 28, at 2 o'olook am., after an illness of several months. Her general health had been good, thongh her mental facilities seemed to be slightly impaired, until last January when she suffered a severe nervous shock, owing to a fall. Mrs.Osterhout was then compelled to take to her bed, from whioh she never rose. Her death resulted from a complication of diseases, and on Monday morning she began rapidly to fail, taking no nourishment during the last tbirty-six hours of her life.

Mrs. Oaterbout's maiden name was Elizabeth Cloyd Lee, daughter of Hon. Thomas Lee, of Port Elizabeth, N. J., where she was born May 4,1813. Her brother, Hon. Benjamin Lee is clerk of the Supreme Court at Trenton, N. J., a position to which he has n-t been reappointed for a further term of 5 years. Francis Lee, of Port Elizabeth, is another brother, the oldest ot the family, aged 80 ) ears. She leaves one other brother, Clement, an invalid, of Port Elizabeth. Two other brothers are dead, as is also a sister, the family having consisted of 7 children.

In 1840 Miss Lee became Mrs. Isaac S. Osterhoot, her husband being the donor of the Osterhout bequest for the foundation and perpetuation of a free cublio library. Indeed the idea of this magnificent bequest, estimated at S800,000, was suggested to Mr. Osterhout by his wife and the two were equally interested in the project. Upon his death Mr. Osterhont bequeathed $30,000 to his wife and a life interest in one-half of his real estate. The remainder of his property, beyond some few minor bequests, being left to nine trustees to accumulate for five years and then be utilized in the establishment of the library

iDqai ry of one of the trustees of the library fund elicited the information that the death of Mrs. Osterhout would probably in no way affect the plans of the trustees with regard to the use of the Presbyterian Church, The income of the trustees will be increased by about S4.000, making their total annual income, from the estate, iu the neighborhood of 813,000.

The funeral took place April 30, at 3 o'clock. A large number of friends were present at the services, among them the following relatives, Benjamin Lee and son, of Trenton, Mr. and Mrs. Dickinson, of Camden, Dr. and Mrs. Kirby, of Bridgton, N. J., Peter M. Osterhout, of Tunkhannook and

Mr. and Mrs. Draper Smith, of Plymouth. Rev. Henry L. Jones conducted the service and there was singing by Mrs. Thomas, Miss Hillman, Adolph Baurand John B. Yeager. The pall bearers were six of the trustees of the Osterhout Free Library, Hon. E. L. Dana, A. U. McClintock, A. F. Derr, Sheldon Reynolds, Dr. Hodge and Hon. H. B. Payne, the carriers being an equal number from St. Stephen's vestry, O. M. Brandow, F. J. Leavenworth, Garrett Smith, S. L. Brown, Hon. C. A. Miner and Hon. H. W. Palmer. Owing to the often expressed desiro of Mrs. Osterhout there were no flowers at hor funeral.

Mrs. Osterhout'i Will.

The last will and testament of the late Mrs. Elizabeth Lee Osterhout, has been filed and admitted to probate in the office of Register of Wills Boyd. Its provisions are as follows:

To her sister in-law, Mrs. Jane B. Lee. of Bridgeton, N. J., widow of her deceased brother, Lorenzo F., she leaves 82,000.

To her niece Mrs Josephine B. Dickinson, of Camden, N. J., daughter of her brother Francis Lee, she leaves 82,000.

To her cousin, Mrs. Anna Lee Paine, wife of L. C. Paine, she leaves 81,000.

To her cousin, Miss Margaretta C. Lee, of Wilkes-Barre, she leaves 82,000.

To her cousin, Mrs. Caroline Bickley, widow of the late Peterson Bickley, 81.000.

To Mrs. Elizabeth Collings, daughter of the late Andrew Beaumont, 81,100.

To Mrs. Elizabeth Gilchrist, widow of the late Peter McC. Gilchrist and to Mrs. H. B. Payne, of Kingston, each 8600.

The furniture and other personal property of decedent is bequeathed to a number of her relatives and friends, except her books and some of her pictures, which are donated to the Osterhout Free Library.

All the rest of her estate, real, personal and mixed, is divided as follows:

To tier brother Clement J. Lee, of Newport, N. J., one-hfth part.

To her brother Francis Lee, of Port Elizabeth, N. J., one-fifth part.

To her brother Benjamin F. Lee, of Trenton, N. J., one-fifth part.

To her nephew William S. Bowen, of Philadelphia, and to her niece Mrs. Jane B. Kirby, of Bridgeton, N. J., each one-tenth part.

To her nephews Henry S. Lee and Alfred 8. Lee, of Evanston, Wyoming Territory: Lorenzo F. Lee, of Eagle Rock, Idaho, and C. 8. Lee, of Philadelphia, each one-twentieth part.

Of the legatees, two have died since the will was made, Mrs. Collings and Mrs. Gilchrist.

If an) of the legatees objects to any of the provisions of the will or contest the same, then the legacy to such legatee shall become null and void.

The will is dated Dec. 33,1882, and apappoints L. C. Paine and A. H. MoClintock as executors. The signature was witnessed by Harrison Wright, since dead, and A. T. MoClintock.

A Former Wilkea-Barrean Dead. Alexander H. Dana, a prominent lawyer in New York City for many years, died early Wednesday morning, April 27, of peritonitis, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. C. H. Noyes, at Montolair, N. J. Mr. Dana was born in Owego, N. Y., July 4, 1807. He was a son of Eleazar Dana, president judge of that district, who was the brother of Anderson Dana, Sr., and in early life removed from w ilke*-Bar re to Owego. Deceased was graduated from Union College,Schenectady, when he was 17 years of age. He studied law in New York, and began practice before he was 21. He was first associated with a Mr. Egan, but afterward became head of the firm of Dana, Woodruff ifc Leonard. This connection existed until 1854, when he took offices with Clarkson N. Potter. After that he either practiced by himself or was as ociated with his son, Francis E. For the last five years he did little work. One of his last important cases was the controversy had by the Stewart estate with the Lelands, in which he was successful. He was a very effective pleader, possessing a good voice and fluency of language. He wrote the law articles for the first edition of Appleton'sNew American Encyclopedia. He was the author of "Enigmas of Life, Death and the Future State," and "Ethioal and Physiological Inquiries." His wife died in 1870, and since then he has lived alternately with his married daughters in Montclair and Brooklyn. He leaves two sons and three daughters. Of the sons Francis E. is a lawyer and the Rev. Dr. M. Dana, a minister at St. Paul, Minn. The funeral took place from the residence of his daughter, Mrs. E. A. Street, 286 Hancock Street, Brooklyn.

Gregory was Named for Iliin.

George Oregory, of this township, died April 8. He had been ailing for some time, although not supposed seriously. But the culmination of his disease took place unexpectedly, and Friday morning he died. Mr. Gregory was over 67 years of age, and had always been a resident of Hunlock. By his own exertions he acquired a good, practical education—rather better than the most of his school fellows—and taught several terms of common schools. He was elected in early life to the then important office of justioe of the peace, in Union Township. Sub

sequently, he was elected to various other township offices, all of which he filled satisfactorily to those who elected him. Nearly thirty years ago, he and his brother Benjamin built the grist mill, at the place now known as Gregory. He also owned the grist mill at Ceasetown, in Jackson Township. In early life he married Miss Frances Roberts, who survives him, and is now the postmistress of Gregory postoffice. A large congregation of friends assembled at the funeral on Sunday at the homestead, to pay their last respects to a generous and obliging neighbor and a useful, memorable man.

A White Haven Contractor Dead.

John W. Levan died at White Haven Monday, May 0, after an illness that confined him to his bed for only three days, at the age of 58 years. Mr. Levan was up to the time of his death one of the most extensive coal breaker designers and builders in the Lehigh region. He has been the builder of breakers for A. Pardee & Co., John Leisenring & Co. and Coxe Bros. <fe Co. for the past ten years. He had just completed at the time of his death a very large and modern designed breaker for the Silver Brook Coal Co. in Schuylkill County.

Deceased is survived by his wifo and several adult children. The eldest sou, Lafayette, is the general superintendent of the Oliver Chilled Plow Works in South Bend, Ind. Daniel H. has been associated with his father in breaker building and other contract work. The firm built the several saw mills of Albert Lewis & Co., the latest being one at Harvey's Lake. Of the daughters, Elizabeth is the wife of Gaius L. Halsey, Esq; Alice is the wife of A. W. Fellows; Abbie is the wife of William F. Porter, principal of the White Haven schools. All the children except Lafayette reside in White Haven and he arrived prior to his father's death.

Mr. Levan occupied a foremost position in the business interests of White Haven and was a prominent and highly respected citizen. He took a leading interest m the construction of the inter-county bridge, recently erected by Luzerne and Carbon Counties, and was one of the partners in the White Haven Bronze Burial Casket Co. He was a member of the town council for many years. Mr. Levan was a regular attendant upon the services of the Presbyterian Church. He gave detailed directions as to his funeral, specifying that he be buried under Masonic auspices in the family plot at Siegfried's Bridge, Northampton County,

« ZurückWeiter »